HybridZ

Windshield and hatch glass install, How do you do no chrome?

deMideon

I have the precision gaskets for the glass, but I wanted to install them without the chrome pieces. One book I have said to cut off the lips, but I know that if I tried it, it would look terrible (I would never get it smooth!). Is it Ok to install the gasket inside out??? I think that would give me a smooth look on the outside with the lip inside. What do you all think?

Anyone have any other ideas?

I had the chrome pieces powercoated in "black chrome". You could just as easily do any other color that suits you.

This wasn't particularly cheap - lots of little bits for the powedercoter to spend time on - but the results were good.

I just left the da*ned stuff off. Doesn't look too bad - the flat black nature of the rubber "hides" the gap.

Yup, I agree.

Also, I just saw in Pep Boys the other day a black tape that is made especially for 'blacking out' chrome trim. It looked very thin, almost like a narrow roll (it was about 1.5 inches wide) of window tint film.

Easy!

Buy the Nissan Gasket without the trim slot.

It was used on the Fairlady 432-R models. No chrome strip on the hatch glass.

I had that gasket, and foolishly didn't import the one I had in my car when I left Japan. There is a part number for it in the books, but good luck finding one now!

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I just left the da*ned stuff off. Doesn't look too bad - the flat black nature of the rubber "hides" the gap.

I agree too... my Z doesnt have the chrome strips on it, and I dont recall ever noticing a gap