HybridZ

Torque Setting for Rotor and Aluminum Hat Bolts?

I have a rotor and custom aluminum hat setup for my front brakes. Does anybody know what the proper torque setting are for the 8 cap bolts that tighten into the aluminum hat (sometimes called a bell)? The bolts are 5/16" x 18 or 20 thread pitch? Because I'm going into aluminum the torque can't be too much but naturally I don't want any problems down the road. (Can't find anything at the Wilwood site)

The bolts are 1" long. Yes, it does matter into what material you are tightening.

Thanks,

Danno74Z

Guest Steve-Z

Danno

I would be really careful with these bolts. You need to torque them so they won't come loose, which means around 12-18 ft-lbs. I hope there is 0.4-0.5 in. of thread engagement.

I would call Wilwood on their tech line and ask them.

Or use thru bolts by drilling out the threads, one at a time with the rotor bolted to the hat and use some good NAS bolts with 5/16-24 thread and a jet nut. ARP sells these for just this purpose.

You can also learn about this topic by reading the Carrol Smith books on how to setup race cars.

Good Luck Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the information on the bolts. I have over .75" thread engagement into the aluminum hat so that should not be an issue. I also drilled the bolt heads for safety wire which I will also do once I torque the bolts down. With the combination of a lock washer and the safety wire (which I know how to do) I wil be ok.

Danno74Z

Guest Steve-Z

Danno

Another source for info or brake parts, you may already know this, is Coleman Products. They offer standard and custom rotors and hats in about every conceiveable size.

I think you've got everything covered. Nice to see that Wilwood have the threaded section so thick.

I am about half way into a four wheel vented disk brake setup for my '72 240Z using PBR (Corvette calipers) and 1.25 thick rotors on the front and .81 thick rotors on the rear. This is similar to what Arizona Z-Car sells, except I'm going to use production based calipers.

Have Fun Steve