HybridZ

240z daily driver

binsayer

hi guys i know many people asked this question many times but i am tired of searching. i am getting a 240z and i will be swapping a zxt motor. the thing is what can i do to get the most power and still have the car to be daily driver. i would also like to know if i wanted to rebuild the engine where can i find the internals for a turbo engine. so far what i found out

1-intercooler

2-hybrid t3/t4 turbo

3- larger injectors

4- BOV

5- boost controler

6-turbo timer

so please tell me is there something i need to take off my list or should i add something

note that this car will be driver in a very warm weather which i thought about lowering the boost in summer time

would the 3 inch exhauat helpi havnt thought about that but i will look into it, would the car be loud??? and what fuel controler should i use i am not good with that stuff please help me out. and the headrs for turbo where do you think i can find one, i also though about the 240sx TB but i dont know if it will help much or not.. and if i did all these upgrades wont i need an ECU that will work with the mods i will be doing to the engine. the good thing is we have lots and lots of junkyard and we have many modified cars in the junkyard but people never pay attention to it so as soon as i go back i will be spending alot of time over there looking for some good parts that can be used on my car.

Guest ON3GO

well how much u wanna spend?

The exhaust will help alot.. being loud depends on what muffler you want or use. turbo cars arent really very loud..

the t-body will work great also.

JSK (juan) sells adapters for a nice fitment.

fuel controlled depends on what u want and how much u wanna spend.

if can go with a Z31 ecu and run a piggyback unit or go SDS, or full standalone like haltech, microtech, etc.

pretty soon Alex Costa is gonna sell a full bolt on Microtech Engine management system for our motors.

as well as full 400hp and so on kits.

mike

Guest bastaad525

Exhaust should DEFINATELY be one of the first upgrades.

Usually the first upgrades that are recommended, the ones that will get you the most bang for the buck on a stock turbo motor and turbo, and will put you at about 250hp to the wheels, are boost controller (and boost gauge to see what you're running), intercooler, and exhaust. A BOV is also practically a necessity to keep your turbo from breaking. And then you should also get at least some basic way of providing more fuel (lots of guys have had great luck with either an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, raising the pressure thru stock injectors, or with just going to bigger injectors, then tuning the stock EFI to compensate). Those mods right there are all relatively cheap, the exhaust or possibly the I/C and plumbing being the most expensive even at their cheapest levels (unless you can weld and custom fab the parts yourself). The other items can be cheap or expensive depending on what you choose to use (for instance a boost controller can run anywhere from roughly $15 all the way to several hundred). Again, that combination would get you a good 250 at the wheels, possible a bit more. That would make for a very fast 240. Next upgrade of course would be a bigger turbo, then if you haven't already, upgrading to a standalone programmable fuel and spark control. That would be the order I would go in. Actually... heheh that's a lie... I"m kinda saving the more expensive stuff (exhaust and I/C) for last. My current mods are just the boost controller ($15) BOV ($50) Boost gauge ($60) and soon a fuel pressure regulator ($55). I last dynoed 200/234 at the wheels, and the car is definately pretty quick. I also run pretty lean on top, with the fuel pressure regulator and increased fuel pressure I will fix that and hopefully get a few more hp to boot.

For me, 250hp in a 240 is just about right. That should be good to get you into the 12's in the quarter mile and a sub-5 second 0-60 time. The reason I think it's just about right is because from that point on, you have to generate LOTS more power to really get any faster and the cost of getting there grows trememdously. I've always been on a tight budget so i guess I"m kinda biased :)

thanks alot you guys i really learnd alot of things you see i love turbo cars but i stay away from them because there are lots of info in them. i also happen to be a big z fan i own a 280zx before and now i am getting the 240z, when i saw a guy who had a turbo on it just took my breath away. so i guess i will be looking into the 250hp i dont think i will be needing more with the upgrade you guys told me i think it will be fun thanks again

• 11 months later...