HybridZ

R230 Conversion shafts

Tim240z

For informational purposes:

There has been a few guys that have contacted me regarding the Speedway Shafts for the R230 conversion. I would need to get a few (maybe 4-6 sets) together as an order for Speedway to setup their tooling to make a run (they are in their busy season, making Nascar and Winston Cup stuff).

PM me with your order (please be certain that you actually want them). It usually takes a couple of weeks to turn them around (order, cut and spline, heat treat, and polishing).

The price again is ~$165 each (2 needed) plus shipping for the shafts only.

If you want a complete setup, the following pricing applies:

-- Shafts: $330 / pair

-- CV joints: $300 / 4 (in order to get complete axles 2 pairs of Q45 axles are required)

-- CV to Companion Flange adapters: $320

-- Assembly of shafts: $20 (just to cover cleaning supplies and new grease)

So total price for completely assembled axles, ready to bolt in: $970

Again, here is the assembly instructions for the shafts:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=30930

Just a reminder in case some weren't aware or our option as we've been selling these for a while now. We've got our R230 adaptors in stock, and they include the mandatory end stops, and we pair them with Moser axles (undisputed quality). All top quality CNC parts engineered in a package and very value priced!

Adaptors are $265/pair, includes precision tig mating process, all hardware including stub nuts/etc and our top quality Moser Axles are $310/pair.

Webshop package here:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=57&PHPSESSID=d9cc31a11c1cd7991c940312fc1d8ec8

prior hybridz announcement with more info

http:http:////hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=237499#237499

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

I tore a CV boot at VIR and ended up with a CV full of dirt and grit. I don't want to just clean it up and put it back together and I would rather find a source for a new CV. Have you found a place to buy these with out droping 200 bucks on a new one? Thanks, Mark

Mark, not new ones. New CVs are not available, not even from Japan. You only have two options:

Complete new axle, or complete used axle.

I spend weeks looking and have several shops as far east as Florida and as far west as CA looking for new CV joints (loose). I even spoke to someone at Nissan USA headquarters....no dice....This is the achilles heel of the conversion, I think...But then used should hold up OK....

Tim

Sorry to get your hopes up, there doesn,t appear to be any availability of the complete inner CV. Provided you dont destroy an outer housing, balls cages and races are available through driveline manufacturers like GKN Spicer. Including oversize balls and races for well worn CVs.

In going back through my research notes, something else I looked into was GKNs VL plunging CV joints, specifically CV288 which is a 6 ball 113mm outer diam 32mm wide and takes 27 spline 1.16in shaft.

Which is used in both our domestic Ford and GM independant rears which you can see in the new Pontiac GTO for eg.

For those going budget then the use of S/H CVs is quite logical but I can see in future if everyone is using 2 sets of shafts supply could end up being a problem.

Making adaptors, new shafts and using other OEM components for the plunging type joints could be a viable long term option.

I wont pursue it any further because it doesn't suit my 280ZX application but most certainly could be a viable alternative which also has the advantage of less driveshaft weight.

Edit 1 oops last night I said fixed joints when I meant plunging my apologies to anyone who read it and was mislead.

Hope this is useful info. Neil

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

At what point should someone consider such an upgrade? Would this only be applicable for like over 400HP or over about 350ft/lbs of torque?