HybridZ

MSnS and fast idle control

Probably the most important thing not covered in the MSnS install guide is how to set up fast idle. The reason is because I have not set mine up yet. I am just dealing with no fast idle at the moment. Well, the time has come and I want to solve this in an easy and cheap way if possible.

First I have a question, how exactly does the stock 280zxt air regulator work. Does it just get a 12volt signal when the engine is running and that stays on all the time? Then the bi-metal element is heated by the coolant passing through it and it eventually closes? If this is correct then it is easy to connect an output from MSnS that controls a relay and provides 12volts when the engine is running. MSnS has two programmable outputs.

If the air regulator is more complex and requires some sort of digital or analog signal, then I'll have to dig up a control solenoid like the megasquirt manual suggests.

I found this in an old post:

In other words, when the fuel pump has power the air regulator has power. When there is power to the air reg it runs a little internal heater that heats up and shuts off the air flow through it.

Looks like I will hook up the air regulator using one of the programmable outputs from MSnS. That way I can still have some of the daily driver starting comforts. I am also going to still run coolant through the 240sx TB. It is very likely that I will drive this car on 10-20 degree days. This should make for an easy fast idle setup, I'll write it into the guide once I try everything out.

You already have an output that is on when the engine is running namely the fuelpump output. But you already noticed. I am going to get a 12 volt valve to use as an air bypass. They can be bought cheaply here in holland for LPG fuel systems. It is a basic on/off valve. But since it is controlled by the MS unit (MS&S acctualy) it is a lot more accurate then the auxilary air valve thing. I have one on my car right now and sometimes when I start the car after only being parked for a minute the aux valve has already cooled enough to cause my idle to jump above to 2000 rpm. Not damaging but just annoying (sp?).

So judging from this you have no need for a stock setup in that sence....so mine being 'non' functional is not that much of problem then

Anyway Moby, Xander Tony... thanks on the MS updates, it is read and learn, follwing you right after you inveted that wheel :)