HybridZ

Water Injection

cygnusx1

I am thinking about adding WI to my turboZ. I want to run it up to 12-14psi. It's a totally stock 83 L28 Turbo motor. I will add an I/C soon also. I also plan on doing a turbocharger upgrade very soon. Anyone have any water injection kit experience? I have seen WI kits from 200-600 bucks. What should I look for in a WI system or should I not go there at all?

BTW - I really like the new look and layout of the site. GOOD JOB!

I would think that you would want to be able to set the pressure the WI starts at and the volume that is added, kind of like a fuel computer.

You definitely don't need it at near stock boost levels, so you don't want to be draining the tank unnecessarily.

I haven'tchcked into what is out there, but would ? why you feel you need it - a good aftermarket system will supply enogh fuel to prevent detonation.

Now if you're heading into 20+ lbs of boost, I could see the need.

The money a good setup would cost would be better spent on MSnS and possibly bigger injectors - you'll have the advantage of losing the AFM and much better throttle/boost response. Even retaining the stock injectors you will be better off until you want more than ~260 HP.

I am of couse assuming that you are running the stock computer here from looking at your previous posts.

This is JMHO. You can buy the MS prebuilt for $200. With the results mobythevan has had, I see no reason to do WI until all the fuel issues are resolved due to the limitaions of the stock setup.

In the book Turbocharging by Hugh MacInnes, there are definite pros to WI, but the ability to tune the fuel was just as important. That along with the fact that if you are relying on the WI to prevent detonation and you happen to run out at the wrong time, you may fry the engine. I would rather look at WI as a way of keeping the combustion chambers clean...

For that low of a boost, you should not have a need for water injection. Once you get the boost up and your car is set up correctly - with the right amount of timing retarded, then maybe. I have put together systems of V8 up to 30 psi of boost and been able to stay away from water injection. A long time ago I had a 280Z that I turbo charged with a Corky Bell Cartech system and I ended up buying a Edelbrock Vara-injection system - you can still find these on ebay for 60 to 200 dollars. I ran a mixture of water and spirited water in the bottle but I was running 21 psi of boost (not stock internal to the engine) Once I figured out the fuel to air mixture (drilling the carb) and setting the timing correct, I ran 24 psi and did not need the water and spirits injection. I would try to look at your system and see what you can do to eliminate the use of that spray. The only reason I would do that is if I had no other way to control detonation or not enough money to get rid of it. The Vara-injection does have the adjustments that would be needed to spray the water when needed but it will take a bit of playing and aa flat head screwdriver to get it right. Good luck

Robert

I generally don't like water injection - too many things can go wrong, leaving you with way too much boost without the water.

However, if you must run water injection, the aquamist is the only way to go. It's microprocessor controlled, 3D mapped, and has extensive failsafes capable of detecting an empty water tank, failed pump or clogged nozzle, and also capable of shutting down an electronic boost controller if something goes wrong.

I've seen this run on a friend's car and was impressed.

I was looking at water injection as a way to allow me to raise my boost without worrying too much about detonation. However, from what I am reading here, WI may be overkill when using an intercooler at 12-14psi with stock eccs and stock injectors.

Guest ON3GO

I am also looking into running a aquamist unit.

Vintage Tech Z on here told me about it and it seems like a cool product.

ill be running 22psi to 24psi with fresh stock internals (L28ET) with a Microtech EMS, along with other things. From what ive been told it will work great, and help (which i might need) agaisnt detonation.

you guys think it would be a smart upgrade for my Z??

mike

Guest bastaad525

Do a search for my name and this topic (try water and alchohol injection) I was asking a lot about this not that long ago, and got a lot of good replies, as well as some people posting some links to lots of good info on this. The best link went to a supra forum where some guy was talking about running some 20+ psi and making approx 600hp with NO intercooler (YES he did take out even the STOCK intercooler, he pulled it out and replaced it with just a section of pipe, as part of his experiment to see the effectiveness of methanol injection). Anyways there was a lot of other good info given as well in that thread.