HybridZ

Intercooler mounting?

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

I picked up a Spearco intercooler (27.5"x12"x3" with 2.5 in/outlets-pretty sight :o ) off ebay. I know its going to be a tight fit being 27.5" wide. From what I have been reading 27" is a close shave, but I have faith. I had a couple questions about mounting the intercooler though.

1. Is it best to keep the IC at a 90* about 2 and 1/2" to 3" in front of the radiator. Or is it a good idea to mount the intercooler at a slight angle.... about 60*. Just so air can flow to the radiator easier, or will this cause the IC to perform less efficient.

2. How should I go about mounting the IC, so that its not just sitting there in mid air, flapping in the breeze.

Pictures that show the mounting and plumbing would be cool too, if you don't mind posting them. I already have some and have been studying them just to see what routes I can go and what works best. The search function has been giving me some problems too, saying "no topics or post meet your criteria" or some BS, so I might have missed some pics. I'll try searching again next time I'm on. Just thought there might be a few someone has that have never been posted. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on mounting and plumbing a IC, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks guys, Chase.

Guest bastaad525

I was wondering this same thing. There seems to be plenty of room in front of the radiator, why not install the I/C at an angle to leave some open space between them? I worry about mounting it right on the radiator and how that might be detrimental to keeping the coolant cool. Even with the larger ZX radiator and all my cooling system related parts in good order, my car gets a little unhappy in traffic or going up a hill on a hot day.

I think I just mounted that exact intercooler opn the front of Amir's 240Z. I'll throw some pictures up on my web site and post a link here later.

The images are at:

http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/miscimages.html

Warning: this page has a bunch of images I just dumped from my digital camera so the image sizes are big (300K). This will be a painful page to load if you're on dial-up.

There is a couple pictures of a Spearco intercooler install here .

The intercooler is not shown mounted, just zip tied for quick fabrication of the intercooler pipes.

John,

The Spearco intercooler in my link shown above, it has no tabs to mount the intercooler. In your pictures, it looks like the one you installed came the same way. Did you just make a tray of some sort to hold it in place on the bottom and then a similar tray on top? Or did you weld mounting tabs to the intercooler, but I just missed them in your pictures?

!M!

Guest 240hybrid

I appreciate the feed back so far guys. I found that post that you put up Mat when I did my search, and saved it. That IC in those pics looks almost the same as my Spearco, and has me thinking this little job will go a bit easier than I thought. Those are some good pics that show the work well, which is probably how I'll route my piping to and from the IC with just a couple differences due to the nonstock turbo.

I was also thinking more about mounting the IC at an angle, and was wondering if the added length in pipe to get the top of the IC tilted out will affect spool up? More pipe, means more area to compress, leading to just a bit more lag. Am I correct?? :?: Or am I thinking too hard?

That idea of using a tray to mount the IC is a good and I'll prob. mock something up this weekend. Would rubber washers or a small universal bushing be a good idea between the tray and the mount brackets (mounted to rad. support)?? I'll try to get some pics on my page of the work in progress.

Thanks, Chase.

This is my setup i had with the smaller NPR IC. Mine was mounted solid as well LJ. The large NPR IC i have in there now is mounted exactly the same. Just have to "massage" the radiator a bit because it's tight. I'll get a measurement between the end tanks if you need tomorrow.

5226S-NPR_IC_Front.JPG

5226S-NPR_IC_Side.JPG

You guys need to be careful solidly mounting an intercooler or radiator to the front of a Z. The core support of a 240, 260, and 280Z flexes, sometimes a whole bunch. At least isolate the parts with rubber mountings.

Took a quick pic this morning of what the medium sized NPR looks like installed in my '73, just for reference. Please, pay no attention to the rest of the front end - she's still a bit bruised from the meeting with the median :roll: lol.

5226Front.JPG

Guest 240hybrid

Cool. I figured some kind of bushing or something would be wanted for mounting. I am also going to make trays to hold the IC top and bottom and then use that plasti-dip (or whatever that rubber coating you can dip handles and such in) and paint a few good coats on the inside of the trays where the IC would make contact to protect it. Of course I haven't had the time to get the work done yet. argh. I appreciate the pics scottymiz.

Chase