HybridZ

Swaping in CRX seats...

datsunlover

Ok, I tried a search but go nothing.. anyone put 88-91 CRX Si seats in their Z? They are the black/grey 'Recaro' bucket style, but DONT have the silly 'crx' embroidered in the seat back. :) And they are OH so comfortable! really holds you in compared to the *ahem* stock seats... One has a small rip on it, but I figured $25 for the PAIR was a good deal so I grabbed them!

Anyway, I mocked one up in the Z and they are pretty wide.. Im gona have to use the passenger seat on the drivers side (and vice versa..) because the seat back adjustment handle would interfere with the seat belt. Im also thinking I'll have to re-locate the sliders more towards the inside of the seat (they're too wide right now; one hits the trans tunnel!) but was curious if anyone else has used these seats? If so, what did you do? Either way, these are going in. I will make someting work, cause I really like these seats! So... anyone?

I put the CRX seats in my 71. They do feel good and are very supportive. I just made some adapter plates to mount the stock sliders to the crx seats. They do sit about an inch higher than stock so if you are over 6' tall you may want to take that into consideration. I didn't have any problems with the width. I just left off the plasic covers where the recline handle is.

Yah, Im about 6' 3" and when I mocked up the drivers seat I rubed the top of my head on the roof. :? I also have some issues getting my leg past the wheel when I get in.

I think part of the problem is my stock seat mounts; The floors have been re-done (previous owner took it to a HACK garage... grrrrrr...) and when they put the factory brackets back it, they buggered it up good. They don't line up, sit square, or anything. AND they are up too high as far as I'm concerned. So Im thinking I'll have to cut them out totaly, make them shorter and then build adaptors like you did to bolt the CRX seat to my sliders. As for clearance, it looks like it'll be really tight across the lower side of the seat area.. tunnel and inside rocker I mean.. I'll have to see what I can do..

I'm 6'3" as well and I too had a lot of problems with seat height. I ended up going with Miata seats with the original Z sliders bolted directly to the Miata seat frame. It seems to set about 1.5" lower than the Datsun seat did.

If I were you and I didn't trust the workmanship in the seat supports I would do something about it. If I had not solved, or at least helped, my problem with the Miata seats I was planning on cutting out the seat supports and having steal C channel welded in at a lower height. If you really like the seats you should go for it. At least on the driver side. Shouldn't run you too much to have them welded if you do all the prep work.

Yah, that's what I'm planing to do. And it won't cost hardly anything seeing as I have a welder now, and can get material cheep at work! :) Kinda freaked me out to when I pulled the stock seat out and saw the awfull condition of my seat support :shock: I'd have to do something about it anyway, so might as well do some mod's while Im in there right? :lol: I'll try to take some pics as I go along... maybe make a little "how to" post when I'm done to help others out..

Hello there, I am just a little taller than you two. I am 6'8" tall and fit fine in the standard Z seats but my wife on the other hand is 5'3" (well maybe a little less). She says she only sees the wipers and the the road a bit further away. I was wondering if either the Miata or the CrX or any seats that fit have height adjustment to go above the stock Z seat height and a low of either the stock Z height or a little lower. Thanks for the help in advance.

Robert

Most 'other car' seats you install will raise the seat height significantly. I know that hopping out of a friend's Z with stock seats and directly into my Z with prelude seats, it feels a LOT taller! But it's actually nice, I can see out, I can rest my arm on the window, it feels normal.

I had my Prelude seats mounted to the stock rails but it turned out I had it adjusted so that the studs were directly in line with the stock holes anyhow, so yesterday I took the rails out and thereby dropped the seat about an inch. That helped some, feels a bit lower.

Guest skittyscott

hey, i drive a crx and i can totaly vouch for the comfortness of the seats. and ill tell you what, those seats you got for 25 bucks are worth about 100 online somewhere if all they have is a "little" rip on it. my driver's seat has the whole outside bolster ripped apart down to the seat frame. the worst part about those seats is us big guys trying to get in and out of the car without our back hitting the bolster and over time, ripping it up. nice grab on the seats. hope it works out....

Guest bastaad525
Most 'other car' seats you install will raise the seat height significantly. I know that hopping out of a friend's Z with stock seats and directly into my Z with prelude seats' date=' it feels a LOT taller! But it's actually nice, I can see out, I can rest my arm on the window, it feels normal.

I had my Prelude seats mounted to the stock rails but it turned out I had it adjusted so that the studs were directly in line with the stock holes anyhow, so yesterday I took the rails out and thereby dropped the seat about an inch. That helped some, feels a bit lower.[/quote']

Nion - what year prelude seats did you use? I can only see a small portion of the seat in one of the pics of your cars interior... looks like the same seats I'm thinking of using, out of my wife's '89 Prelude Si. She has since moved on to a newer car and I've kinda inherited the prelude... would love any info you can give me on how to adapt the Prelude seats to my '72, and even better if you have a way I can do it without having the seats raised so much... I too am 6'3" and though head clearance hasn't ever been a problem with the stock seats (cant say I've ever even noticed being close to the cieling) getting in between the seat and the steering wheel is... a problem I feel the thigh bolstering and possible raised height of the cushion height of the prelude seat will only increase, making getting into and out of the car even more of a chore than if I had a roll cage in there! Anyways, any details you can give would be great.

Well, I got the CRX seats in. :) The passenger side sits a bit higher than stock (like 1.5" or so) And the drivers side is about the same hight as the stock seat was. (maybe .5" higher) But thats because I cut down the stock brackets on the floor. (They had been messed up already my the PO/shop that did the floors) I like the feel and look.. and there is enough room for my head/legs/arms/ect. Getting in and out is a slight task, but not too bad. I'll deal with it. I'll try to get some pics this week, to show how I made my brackets.