HybridZ

Diesel torque convertor instead of NA?

opie

Has anybody considered using the diesel torque convertor behind a turbo or stroker turbo? Can anybody offer any specs to stall and generalities/specifics of diesel type convertors? Seems they would be designed to operate with a higher torque at a lower rpm, but maybe I'm incorrect.

I intend to use an automatic trans in my 260 turbo. Thanks,

Yeah, that's the question I have. Are they high or low stall? Diesels are usually low end torque, but that's where my knowledge ends. Maybe it'd be worse, maybe it'd be the ticket. Anyone know the characteristics of them?

They are low. Diesels are very low revving engines, and make torque very low in the range. Redlines are frequently at 5000 rpm and below. A good stall rpm for a turbo will generally be 3500 and above. I'd bet the stall in my Benz is below 2000.

Could be, but I need stats and specs if anybody has an idea where to get them. Like from a factory manual.

Anybody have the diameter of the stock 280 torque convertor? I can measure the diesel one for comparing.