HybridZ

NEW ZG FLARES

Guest jeremy_datsun_1976

Guest jeremy_datsun_1976

guys I think I should have put the flares just a bit higher up on the rear q-panel.You guys say they are on backwards please let me know how .before I installed the flares I put the largest of the 2 on the back and the smaller ones on the front. I don't see how I could have the on backwards but you guys are right I should have put them 1†higher.

I don't think they are on backwards, they are just on wrong. If you took a stock bodied Z and put a 10" wheel in the back and drove around, when the suspension compressed it would cut a groove in the tire. The whole idea of the flares is to give more room so that the wider tire doesn't hit anything as the suspension compresses. Just bolting the flare on doesn't help the fender issue, and the tire will still hit the flare or the old part of the fender when the suspsension compresses. You have to CUT the old fender area out completely, then bolt the flare to the body.

In the back this is a big job. Here's a related thread:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=34674&highlight=fender

Good luck,

Jon

Jeremy: For your application, I don't think you'll need to cut your rear arches, UNLESS you're planning to lower the car a good bit. Put the flares up where they're supposed to be and see how it looks. You could probably get lower, an inch or so, if you wanted, and still be alright ( as long as your springs aren't too worn out/soft). I'm in the process of doing the same thing you've done. I've recently mounted 15x8.5 wheels on my Z, with 245/35 Dunlops mounted on them. I've got WAY too much clearance right now ( that wheel tire combo is actually a good bit shorter than the 195/60/14's that were on it). ZG flares are on the way. Hopefully, it's stance will be similar to that champagne colored Z that jmortenson posted when I'm done.