HybridZ

what with the ebay spearco intercoolers?

I am not ready to buy an intercooler yet, but I always see these spearco intercoolers that somebody welds on squared end tanks. All of the normal spearco intercoolers I see have nice rounded end tanks for better airflow. Also, all of the intercooler design articles say that you don't want the inlet and outlet straight across from each other because the air tends to flow only through a portion of the intercooler. All of these on ebay have squared end tanks and straight through flow. So are they worth buying, or just ineffeciently built? They always say in the auction something like.... this is a good intercooler, not like the bad ones on ebay. Yeah, that doesn't sound suspicious.

Just curious.

example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2469897946&category=33742

The one you link doesn't look too bad to me, but there are a lot of crappy tank designs on ebay IMHO. Lots of people are buying Spearco cores and making really cheap & easy end tanks that are less than optimal. I would look for symmetry regarding the placement of the inlet in relation to the core, like the one you posted. Also no 90* for the air to try to turn. A tall core with inlet and outlet on top will often use only 50% of the core area or less, unless then end tanks are well designed. (Such as with the NPR, it has inlet and outlet up high, but with moulded end tanks that do a nice job of distributing the air across the entire core)

The problem is that ebay is often the place to buy & sell cheap stuff, and a properly made end tank costs $$$. I'd say more than half the people buying intercoolers really don't know what they are looking at, they just want big.

Just keep looking' date=' I just picked this one up for a song...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33742&item=2467491470&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT

It was spelled wrong in the title :D[/quote']

Thats what I need to start watching for. I now need a IC that enters on one end, and exits on the other...

The Spearco I now have is the typical in/out on the same side, which is needed for the Z with the L6. Now that I'm swaping the L6 for the RB26, I need one just like you scored Mike....

Although, I guess I could just cut the end tank on the top or bottom, and turn it the oppisite way...

The one I have flows 1050cfm.

Yep Joel, if it is a Spearco, it may be the same one that I am running and the same one I picked up (18.5x6x3.5 core ~1080 cfm's). I am going to need opposite side endtanks for the 2JZ, so I jumped on this one.