HybridZ

Please advise for slave cylinder selection

zeeboost

My slave cylinder went out on my yesterday for my t-56 (came out of a 97 Formula), and while it’s not really old (approx. 40,000 miles), I’m curious as to what type of unit to buy that will fit well with the t-56. The one that broke was an AP unit, which I heard were supposed to be pretty good. I’ve been looking at buying the T-5 slave and using Ron’s adapter for it, but I’m afraid that if I go stock again, it will go out and leave me stranded. Is there a performance T-5 slave cylinder that I’d be able to buy that would be a direct replacement (would require any other machining/drilling to mount) and would still be compatible with Ron’s adapter? I checked the archives, but the only info I could find was just to order a T-5 unit from 1990-2000, so I’m not really sure. Thanks for the help.

So I guess just stay with the stock one, huh? I can't find anyone around here that carries one in stock...even for a T-5. They all have to order them. Tim, what year is your slave cylinder? And did you get it for a T-5 or T-56? Thanks for the help.

I just got another stocker T56 unit (which comes as a unit with the master).

I got it from GMPartsDirect.com, but try Jason Cromer, he may be a bit cheaper. It is a Dealer only part.

I bought for a 1994 Z28 (which I actually have), but anything from 1993 to 1996 will work. I think I paid ~$110, and I sold the Master.

BTW...they hydraulics on these are supposed to be very reliable. My Z28 has 95k on it with original equipment.

Tim

• 2 months later...
Guest erics660z

Hmmm...what is "Rons adapter" and does it solve any slave/exhaust clearance issues? My T-56 slave is right where my left exhaust pipe needs to be. Almost done, except for the exhaust. Thanks.

The adapter is just a way to adapt the slave to another non-oem hydraulic line. I made my own and am running the OEM slave. I actually just spent the day re-doing my driver's side header and exhaust. I bought some 3" round to oval tubing from Dr. Gas so now I have much better ground clearance!

Tim