HybridZ

So I installed my 383 stroker today...

I got a set of the S&S longtube headers from one of our members and I was kinda antsy to test the motor with them installed...

Problem one:

Canton oil pan WON'T clear headers... So I installed my old Moroso pan back on... 1.5 inches lower in the cradle... BUT it hangs at the same depth as the headers, so nothing lost there...

Problem two: My car was SLAMMED on the ground... Had to raise the coil overs up two inches, but it still sits fairly low... I will take some pics... However, I looked under the car and I personally think these headers WILL work. I may have to notch the frame slightly (Less than 1/2 inch) and I think I can live with the amount of ground clearance. I raised the car so I can fit two fingers under each fender lip to get an idea of the clearance needed from under the car... I have about 4 to 5 inches from the flange to the ground... Livable.

It was very motivating to get the motor mounted... Man I need a 5 speed!

MIke :lol:

Cool - Progress!!!!

I hope those headers do work - they ought to help the 383 breathe better than the 1-5/8" block huggers.

Mike, have you considered a G-force T-5? I have to say I'd go that way if I were to do it again.

(BTW, if that's a 2 piece seal 6.5" deep canton road race pan (6 doors, etc.), and you want to sell it, I'm very interested.)

Hurry up, Mike! I'm VERY eager to see what that puppy will do, both on the dyno and on the strip. I'm vacillating between wanting a 383 and wanting a destroked 400, and I can't make up my mind.

You can be my test monkey. :D

Problem #3.. DOn't let your kid be the one under the car taking measurements... I have 3 inches of clearance.. Not four or five...

I'm hurrying as fast as I can RPMS!

Next step, Painting the undercarriage! :D

Mike 8)

Not sure it will really be an issue anyway... I mean, If the coil overs are set to low, then I'm gonna be killing some struts... I also think I'm gonna be gaining a half inch clearance when the trans is in with the motor, leveling it in the bey... As it is now, the rear is still sitting a bit lower than should be... You'll have to see it when you guys come for the shindig!

Mike

hehe my first exhaust that i hung on the car after i went from the block huggers from 86 corvette headers ended up being less than 3 inches, i cant even fit my creeper under the glass packs, my motor also sits a bit lower than jtr. anyways cant wait to see what that puppy will do! mine seems like the harder i beat on it the faster it gets :) goodluck ! - pete