HybridZ

Est. Price for LS1 Transplant (searched....4372 items.....)

Guest DevilishLS1

Guest DevilishLS1

Just a quick question to guage some investment options. I did a search and it turned up upwards of 4000+ entries. I read the first 5 pages or so, without finding the necessary information. I just want to know the approximate cost of putting an LS1 into a 240Z; including tranny, rearend, and any other necessary modifications. I may be in the position ot accomplish this if the price isnt crazy. Thanks for your help, and sorry for asking such a mundane question.

Guest DevilishLS1

I appreciate the information. The plan is to do most of the work myself, but my experience is definately lacking in some areas. Are there any shops that have a preset price for this swap? I am good at modifying a setup once it exists, but the transplant would definately cause me trouble myself. Also, did the higher price range include any kind of restoration, or is that just to get the engine an drivetrain functioniong properly? 15g's is a lot of money.

Guest DevilishLS1

In that case, I will have to pass. Thanks for the info guys, but I can get a decent condition FD3S for that kind of cash. Have fun with your cars and keep making bad ass Z's.

Guest z32ls-1hopeful

I am new here but not to the idea of a v8 in a z32 300zx, but i am wondering how much a ls-1 300zx swap would run me. Sorry to ask the same stupid question but i seemed to be having trouble finding any hard numbers. A guy i know has an lt-1 in his z32 and its a blast. Anybody have a ballpark?, including a z32 donor car, ls-1, and anyhting else? Labor?

F-body -

Yup - you can get a nice WS-6 used for about $14,000 - or one that needs a lot of work for less. Any way you look at it though, to have a good running AND good looking car, it is going to cost you $15,000 - $30,000. The Z, however, will be hundreds of pounds lighter - and faster.

Z32 LS1-

It's been done. There is a manual available and conversion parts are being worked on. Do a search on the Chevy V-8 forum. Z32 LS1

Guest DevilishLS1

I was thinking more along the lines of a third generation RX-7.......V8 Z's arent that much faster, and they both are damn sexy. But you are right on the 15,000 to 30,000 price range.

As someone who is in the process of a 240Z LS1 swap I will add my 2 cents.

I bought my mostly restored/refinished, very nice, rust free 240Z for $8700. It came with many performance mods. Coilovers with adj. caster/camber plates and eibach springs at all 4 corners, Tokiko 5 ways, front and rear sway bars, front and rear strut braces, poly bushings, R180LSD, 4 core radiator, nice paint and interior, etc. see pics at the link below. I put another $1500 into it for stereo, wheels and tires, etc.

I bought a 2002 LS1 and 4l60e from a Camaro SS with 20,000 miles on it for $4000. I bought the LS1 cooling fans for $100. I just sold the current L28 drivetrain for $2300.

So far that adds up to $12000.

The LS1 stuff I would need from JCI will run approx. $2100 including everything they offer except the radiator since I already have one.

I still need to build a fuel system, exhaust, have the computer programed, have the wiring harness redone, possibly upgrade the rear diff., and upgrade the brakes. Brake system is currently stock fronts with porterfields, stock rears with greenstuff shoes and braided brake hoses.

(What am I missing?)

I went into this planning on a budget of $20000. and I know I can finish it for that or less. I figure the motor will put out about 375HP at the crank with the JCI headers. This should produce at least 300 RWHP. Should be good for mid 12's on street tires. NOS is about $700 for a good 100HP wet kit and should move it in the 11's.

If all this comes to be I will be very happy. I set out to build a classic 240Z that would run with the best of the exotics for 20% of their cost.

I am sure I could have done this for much less if I started with a car that wasn't as clean and settled for an older, higher mileage LS1 but it wasn't my goal. As mas280 said " The swap can be done for less than $5,000."

I believe it can be done for $5000 for the swap alone if you get a great deal on the motor and trans ($1500) buy the kit from JCI ($1600 w/o A/C), do all the work yourself, and only put the $5000 towards getting the drivetrain running in the car and no other stuff like suspension, brakes, etc.

But it all adds up. You make the choice.

Guest Your Car is Slow

10 to 15 grand is too expensive...so you wanna put an LS1 in an FD? hehe...I think you are in for a rude awakening :)

Savage42 I just put a Ls1 in my car. It took me 4 weeks to do the swap, this is spending a few hours a day after work. It can cost you 10-15,000 if you do not do the work. I do not have a shop, just a garage.

This is my cost

Ls1/4l60e $2500

Drive shaft $200

Radiator $200

Fuel system $400

Header $700 you can use stock manifolds--they will fit

Exhaust $200 do it yourselfe or 300-600 at a shop

Mounts $free just make them

Air intake $200

It cost me about $4900 for the swap and it could of been less if I used the stock headers. The Ls1 swap is a very easy swap, it takes about the same time that a LT1 swap takes.

It all comes to the level of standards you ultimately want. I've been part of the 510 crowd for over a decade and about 5 years ago, the VG30 swap came around, now the SR20DET being the hot ticket. We've had guys do the VG swap for $2k and many others that run 2-3 times that. Can you do the LS1 swap for $5k? Sure. Is that what it usually costs 90% of the others that do it? Not even close. You can spend $5k just getting a drivetrain and several grand in getting it in. Then, if the car is stock, you have a grand here and a grand there to upgrade suspension, brakes, all the "nickel & dime" stuff. It seems like there are several Z that have sucked $20k to get them up to snuff and many more that just throw in a V8 and call it good. We just don't want the newbies to think that $5k for the swap is a standard, more like an exception. Too many variables to come to an exact "ballpark" price on the conversion when just about everyone has spent a different amount than many others. Just sayin......