HybridZ

Typhoon rampage at the street races...

fl327

While the z is down, been working on my buddies typhoon, right now running pretty stock but all the bugs sorted out of the conversion (typhoon body and driveline in a blazer frame) and last week we took it out to the races to see what it could do. Last friday we were up until 7am kickin sports car butt with it and we all slept past rio vista.

Heres a list of what a 4000 lb car with awd 4.3 turbo (280hp and 340 ft) 14.5 psi, stock exhaust and 3 powered 12" subs on 275/40/17 drag radials on 17x9 corvette wheels with kumhos in the front (dont need em, but they helped) with two passengers will do...

4.6 cobra

rsx with 225hp jdm engine( three times!)

acura tl with a supercharger(twice!)

civic with ls/vtec dohc(not even close!)

s13 with sr20det with bpu!!! (this was a revenge run, he had previously beat the typhoon owners 454 el camino in a traction impaired situation.)

99 c5 with a bad driver(12.4 car when he has DR, shoulda wore em)

300zxtt bad driver

mustang 5.0 with flowmasters

audi tt with piggyback fuel computer

we lost to:

wrx

sti

lancer evo

but not by much.

car pulls a 1.7 60ft time when powerbraked to 2300, stall is really low on these cars so we couldnt get a harder launch than that out of it. ridiculous.... Makes me really want to do the gn swap now, an suv that outdrags many a sports car???? With a stock ecu that limits shift point to 4700? Stall so low we cant get out the hole harder than 2300? First boost disabled by ecu so we dont even get full boost out of the hole? Bone stock with a k and N air filter and a fresh oil change? Ridiculous, purely ridiculous...

This week we ordered a street chip, going 3" straight exhaust, upgrading the water air ic pump, and the obligatory hks ssqv, and see if we cant get back on the awd turbos (which seems to be where the weight of the car comes into play)

Needless to say, my Z isnt going anywhere near the races until I finish tuning the big turbo and get my rear suspension ready for stupid harsh drag radial abuse, stupid suv set the bar too high!! At least the suv is crew. He has all of us prepping our cars, im not even treading back to the runs until I get some shakedown passes at Infineon.

We will try to have video in the next week or two after the upgrades. Should have seen the looks on peoples faces when an suv takes down expensive sports cars in a drag race! They couldnt even understand what they were seeing, the car launching without any noise and accelerating silently. Of course we were playing Lil John and Keith the Sneak at max volume through the subs as we came to the line though, how else do you expect that to happen? Drove the car a few runs but let the owner do most of the smacking. Its a great view from the passenger seat as you watch a man in a sports car shifting and driving his hardest to fall to an suv! Video this week or the next, with the mods we are hoping to take down the awd turbos as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on getting some video. Waiting for a chip, hi flow IC pump, and a few other small pieces in the mail. Cant wait to see when the typhoon gets to rev 6k, so far the factory ecm shifts at 4500, which is pretty early. Car has a shift kit so it will be nice at 6k. Running 275/40/17x9 Vette wheels with DR's in the back. Lethal. Plans are to upgrade the turbo and run a big Air to Air IC. We are going out tommorow night after we go see Kill Bill 2, will try and get footage.

Murder count rises:

Lt1- Firebird

LS1 ss camaro on 22" spinners with tvs, 6speed-beat badly sandbaggin 3 deep.

wrx sti- but always REAL close..

rx7 tt-with mods

lost to a single turbo rx7

No one from the honda camp will dare race an SUV anymore :D

Got footage, were going to combine last week with the coming week

should have the chip, straight pipe, and a upgraded ic pump. Should be fun. Have some great 4 wheel doughnuts from the s13 camp (crew) and those will be up soon as well. Hopefully I can get the z out for a few shots, fastest car out this weekend was a FD that runs 13.2, but his best 60 was 2.2 :twisted: