HybridZ

Seats, seats, seats!

Guest Carrman

Guest Carrman

Folks, I've been searching archives till I'm blue in the face, and I now need to ask for your help. I'm trying to find a set of OEM seats that will work in my '75 280Z. The mounts apparently sit higher than in the 240, so the usual seats used there are too tall for the 280. I test fitted a set from a '91 Talon, which work so well in the 240, and they are just flat too tall for me. I'm only 5'9", but I sit tall in the seat when I drive, and my head would be against the roof. Have any of you successfully transplanted seats from another car into your 280? If so, I need to know year and model of donor car, and what you did to install them. I'm asking this as I don't have the time and resources to run around experimenting with different seats to find something that works, and am hoping to hear from someone who can line me out as to what I can install. Thanks for your help!

Dave

Guest Aaron

If I were you, I would find a seat that I like, cut the factory mounts out of the floorboard, and make new mounts to place the seat where I wanted it.

Guest gtplus2

Dave, I also found that when I looked at the talon seats in my '72 240 were also too tall for Me as well. I found a set of seats out of a '98 Acura GSR that were more user friendly. However they still are just about an inch higher than the originals. I am 5'11" and have a little over 2" of clearance over the top of my head. I was able to do this with using the Acura seat tracks and NOT cutting the original floor rails. Take a look at MY car domain pg. below for pic's.-Bob

I'v got 88 honda CRX Si seats in my Z. I cut the factory drivers side seat brackets down about 1" (as the crx seats are about 1" taller than stock Z) and then used some flat bar to adapt the CRX seats to the Z rails. I drilled holes in each end of the flat bar to bolt to the seat (where the honda rail/slider used to bolt) and attached the Z rails/sliders to another set of drilled holes in the flat bar (closer together) I cant remember for sure, but I think the honda's sliders were 16" apart, and the Z's are 13".. Anyway, I'm about 6'2" and I have about 1.5" of head room. Not alot, but I'm ok with it. It would be perfect for your hight I think..

do you remember what year miata? the ones I have seen looked ok and were fairly comfortable....

I don't remember the year but I think any year will work. Mine are pretty cool. They are leather and have speakers in the seat backs. Do a search under my name and miata seats. You should find a lot of information.

do you remember what year miata? the ones I have seen looked ok and were fairly comfortable....

I don't remember the year but I think any year will work. Mine are pretty cool. They are leather and have speakers in the seat backs. Do a search under my name and miata seats. You should find a lot of information.

Thanks for that.... I will probably go with miata seats.... when they become necessary, have a lot to do before then.

BTW, I asked you this once before, but it was in an old thread, you may have missed it.... You were in UTX and in EOL now? UT name escapes me, Fei perhaps? your current nic suggests Unreal Tournament, and the avatar is the same as a player there..... kinda funny if so.... I suspect the datsun interest will outlive the UT addiction.

Anyway, back on topic, thanks for the feedback on the Miata seats.

tannji

Thanks for that.... I will probably go with miata seats.... when they become necessary' date=' have a lot to do before then.

BTW, I asked you this once before, but it was in an old thread, you may have missed it.... You were in UTX and in EOL now? UT name escapes me, Fei perhaps? your current nic suggests Unreal Tournament, and the avatar is the same as a player there..... kinda funny if so.... I suspect the datsun interest will outlive the UT addiction.

Anyway, back on topic, thanks for the feedback on the Miata seats.

tannji[/quote']

Maybe I'm just really tired but I really don't understand your reply.

UT = University of Tennessee

vol = Volunteers (as in the University of Tennessee Volunteers)

man = self explanitory

99 = year of graduation from UT

The fat dude making a fool of himself = laughed my a$$ off the first time I saw it

LOL! ok, no prob... I used to play a lot of Unreal Tournament online.... (that is where I got the UT connection) and I knew a guy online who also played the game, and used that same Avatar, and also liked Z's.... so it was a peculiar coincidence, thats all.... Funny thing is, he had a lot of people convinced that he was that guy with the light saber :roll: