HybridZ

How much torque for metal headgasket?

i am very close to putting my metal head gasket (1mm) with arp studs and i am just wondering if anyone has experience with this how much should i torque them down. i know that factory spec is like 61 but i know the guy that runs shop (all he does is work on sr20's) and he recomends going up to 90 pounds. that just sounds high to me. i would really like some input from L6 guys.

Thanks,

Ivan

Guest bastaad525

I can't say as to how much torque you want, but I WILL say one thing that the guys at MSA, Top End performance, and also the guy who sold me my motor all told me... after you get it installed and running, recheck them. More than once. A lot of people seem to have had problems with metal gaskets leaking until they've been retorqued a few times.

I think when I installed my headgasket and ARP's it was something like 88% of the original factory torque spec. It should say on the little piece of paper you got with your headstud kit. I used copper spray on my metal gasket and have had 2000 miles of leak free performance. HTH

~Kenny

Guest bastaad525

Yeah copper spray is highly recommened. Now that I think about it, the guy at Top End Performance did say that you actually torque the metal one LESS than the regular gaskets. I remember thinking how odd that was.

I found that kinda odd that you have to tighten the metal headgasket less. i already have copper spray so i am good on that. now i just wonder why is this guy that builds sr20's goes up to 90 pounds. reason why i found that odd to begin with was when i read that paper from ARP it said that nuts are torqued to 75% of their "strenght" at our factory 61 pounds so if i went to 90 pounds that would be like 110% therfore they might just brake. i just wonder if anyone can give me straight answer like go to 55 pounds or so :D but oh well it looks like some phone calls are in order.

Ivan

i have my arp studs torqued at 85 foot pounds, do to the fact that you are useing a metal head gasket you can torque it to what you want. the metal head gasket will only conpress so far. the reason that you torque a factory gasket to 55 is that it will smush. hope i helped

The little piece of paper that came with my ARP's said to torque the nuts to 60ft lbs with their lube. I was told not to use the copper spray by the guy that did my head. He said as long as the head and the block are flat, they shouldn't need it. I guess the metal gaskets have a tendancy to move around a bit, especially the 2mm one. The copper makes them move more I guess. He has been building L6's for 20 years and does most of the exotics ( Porsche, Ferrari) and oddball european stuff in the Seattle/ Tacoma area. Hopefully he is right, because I just finished putting my head on with a metal gasket and no copper spray!

Aaron

you shouldn't need the spray at all, if it is a hks 2mm it will have a soft coating on it that will keep it from moving, that is if it isn't used, as i talked about earlier don't worry if you torque it over 60 foot pounds. just make sure that you followed the correct pattern and they are all the same torque . oh ya and have fun.

monster626,

no its not hks 2mm its just custom made 1mm that i got from friend. i have ended up torquing it to 65 pounds. i talked to few friends that have done it (all experienced gearheads :D ) so i just ended up compromising at few more pounds than stock but will see how it will hold :roll: lol.

Ivan