HybridZ

Tire size ?

Guest Jim226

Guest Jim226

Hey everyone i got yet another newbie question, i have the stock steel mags and i was wondering what the largest tire is i can fit on them. By the way i have the tokico springs and "blue" shocks. i'm trying to go with that ZG look i wanna line the wheel up the best i can with the flares i'm getting, i'am i gonna have to use a spacer do to this ??? Also i plan on doing the 300zx vented rotors with the 4x4 brakes will this setup work for a 14" tire ??? all help will be great :)

Guest Jim226

ok ?? well i'm trying to figure out how wide i can go for the zg look what are some ppl on here running any photos. My main thing is that i wanna line the flares up with the tires and i'm not sure if i'm going to need a wheel spacer??

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=3&cat=0&pos=20

Link to photo above

Tire size is limited by rim size. Edge of tire is located by wheel rim width and offset. Unless you know all that plus where the tire fits on the car now and how much offset the ZG flare adds - how can you figure it out? Need to get some numbers.

I think the stock wheels have are 6" wide. Most people who are running ZG flares run a 8-9" wheel up front and a 9-10.5" wheel in the rear. Using spacers to push those skinny wheels outside the fender would look kinda funny, IMO.

Guest Jim226

Ok well here is a question that i need to get answered i looked around the board but really could'nt find anything. Do you have to run coilovers when doing the ZG flare upgrade ???? what exactly is invloved so i know for future reference any1 with zg flares PLEASE help. Also what is the largest wheel you can run on the steel 14" mags i'm about ready to order tires and i'm not sure what i should get ? Sorry for all the newbie questions

Here's a couple of tips for you:

1. You don't need coilovers with ZG flares.

2. You do need to cut the rear fenders to install them properly, which is not easy. You also need to fill the hole in the fenderwell after cutting the fender out. Lots of body work. If you don't, you've severely compromised the strength of the rear strut towers, unless you have a bar or cage that will support the suspension pick up points.

3. You'll need a wider rim than a slotted mag.

4. Not easy to find wide enough 14" tires to fill a ZG flare

5. Not easy to find wide enough 14" rims to fill a ZG flare

6. Even harder to find a wide enough 14" rim with the correct offset for a ZG flare

7. 15" rims and tires have better availability, but still hard to find a 15x9 or 15x10 with the proper backspace

8. Consider a set of steel circle track wheels. They can be custom ordered in just about any width and offset. If my calculations are correct, a 15x9 with 4" backspacing should fit. Not sure if 3" or 4" backspacing would be better. Someone like ON3GO would be a help in this regard. He just did this recently, although he used 17's. Maybe shoot him a PM.

The stock 14x6 mags shouldn't have any more than a 185 or at very max 195 width tire on them IMHO. People will tell you that you can put a 225 on there, and its true. But it will handle better with a 185 that fits correctly than a 225 that is way too big for the rim.

HTH

Jon

Guest Jim226

Alright thanks alot :) :) now for the final question when going with a 15'x9 would it be better to go with an offset rim and what is a good offset ??? i like the deep dish look

• 4 weeks later...

Be forewarned that 15" tires that are the right width and aspect ratio(50,60, etc.) are NOT easy to find. I have 15x8.5" wheels and finding the right size tire ( in my case 245/35/15) was very frustrating. I prefer the look of 15's, but 16" tires are much easier to find in low aspect ratios.