HybridZ

BOV ?

DAT240Z

I installed my BO. about two weeks ago, since then when ever the BOV. goes off there a very strong smell of gas. Is that how they work or is it not hooked up right. I have the BOV in the intercooler piping just the intake and have the vac. line hooked up to the intake manifold, is that the way to install it? My hatch seals are gone an there was ext.smell comming in car before but noe raw gas smell.

Thanks

Carl

Are you running afm setup, i get the same smell, but have good hatch seals :D

Your BO has BO :D

You could recirculate the valve if you cant take the stench, or just do the hatch weatherstripping. Im sure someone has a great scientific technical answer as to exactly why you are getting that gas smell, but right now Ive been smelling gas all day and dont have the vocabulary skills to explain it.

Guest bastaad525

that's because you are running you're BOV open to atmosphere. Every time your BOV vents, you car runs momentarily VERY rich. This is because the BOV is venting air that the AFM has already measured, so the ECU thinks there is air there that has suddenly been let out, but it's still trying to provide the fuel for that air that is no longer in the system. If you recirculate your BOV back into your intake (before the turbo and after the AFM) your problem would be solved. What BOV are you running? Good aftermarket ones like the Greddy ones usually open and close so fast that they dont affect the fuel mixture that badly. They are adjustable so you can affect this even further. If you're running a factory BOV like me (from a 1st gen eclipse) not much you can do, even crushing the cap to increase the spring pressure on the valve didn't seem to help. I know people want that pfffff sound, but I think it's better just to recirculate it the way it was designed to be and have a car that runs right.

Guest Simon

what's happening is the computer is reading all this air going into the motor... but the BOV dumps the air to the atmosphere, the computer doesn't know about this and puts heaps of fuel in.... to much to be burnt and that is what you are smelling from the exhaust.

My turbo car is not doing thin because I have a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. You can make it better by recirculating the air dumped from the BOV to after the AFM but before the turbo.... This will only make it better but will not fix it. You will need a MAP sensor to fix it.

Simon