HybridZ

How do you paint plastic trim pieces?

80LS1T

I would like to paint all the black trim pieces on my 280ZX due to them being faded. Im just not sure about how to paint them so that the paint holds up to daily driving. I know once my car is painted that I will probably wash it 2-3 times per week. I think if I spray paint them it will just get washed off or wear off extremly quick?

So how do I need to go about this? Is there a specail product that I can use for black trim to make it black again?

Thanks!

Guy :D

SEM is a brand of higher quality paint products/chemicals. The only place I've found SEM products is at a local automotive paint supply house. If you clean/scuff the parts properly, you shouldn't need to prime to get the trim color to adhere well. I'm going to be doing this on some trim pieces on my 300ZX this week too.

Guest steveo

have you tried any cleaning products yet? i think its McGuires that has "back to black" which is suppose to be awesome mothers and others make similar products.

I've heard wonders about them, but never tried it myself.

* just did a quick search on the mothers site

http://www.mothers.com/products/ click on special then scroll down. Back to black is there*

Wash the parts well with soap and water - rinse well and dry.

Then lightly scuff them plastic parts with a gray scotchbrite pad or something equivalent and wipe clean. Then you can spray them with SEM trim black (spray can)or something equivalent.

Hope this helps.

RacerX

This is very good advise. SEM works great, I've used it countless times.