HybridZ

Magnaflow? links inclosed

Guest Jim226

Guest Jim226

Hi everyone, i was wondering if some1 can tell me whats the best magnaflow to fit under the z? i was going to go with a universal one with a 4" tip. I saw something like this over at the classiczcars forum on a yellow 240z with a RB26DET. Any1 know anything else about this z's exhaust set up, i tried getting the e-mail but can't ???

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5224&password=&sort=5&thecat=500

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm

Guest smoov280zx

I dont know what kind of z you have, but the best thing to do is take a tape and measure the space you have for your muffler. Dont trust what some company tells you if you can check for yourself. I used an Oval body mirror finish magnaflow, 2.25 in with dual 2" out I believe. They called it the DTM style I think. I'm very happy with it on my 83 zx, no cat.

Mitch

Guest smoov280zx

If you search this forum or the forum on zcar.com for magnaflow, you will probably find a wide variety of people's opinions on magnaflow mufflers. They are straight-thru so no baffles or BS to get in the way of exhaust. I dont think i've read anything bad about them, I love the sound of mine( just a 1/4" bigger pipe from the Y-pipe back to the muffler), it's not cadillac quiet though. It's a good bit louder than stock, but not annoyingly so. Not to mention that it really makes the ricers you dust with coffee-can mufflers on their civics, sound like pure "weak bs". The nice thing about the magnaflow is that it's a smooth tone up to around 3000 rpms, then gets rougher, and starts a kind of ragged scream around 5000. With no cat it sounds much like a racer.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm biased :D . If I had to buy another muffler, say for a more powerful engine and larger pipe size, I would definitely buy another magnaflow. The flowmasters sound good on some cars, but they just remind me too much of mustang-sounds. Do the search and you will find tons of stuff. Magnaflow has tons of different sizes, so they will have something that fits in the style you want. I've heard good things about dynomax too, same straight-thru design. If you don't have inspections, then get a complete custom exhaust from a local shop that guarantees it not to rattle. I am really happy with mine, it made a nice difference in power too for my stock engined 83. You will find tons of stuff by seaching this forum.

Mtich

Mitch

Guest smoov280zx

I dont know what effect the shape has on the sound, but my oval is definitely not weed whacker. I dont have a cat on mine so its a little louder probably, but i love the sound. Nothing else in town sounds like it. It's a nice deep, smooth sound. Mine only resonates around 2000 rpm, that the drone point i guess. But it's not ragged at all, much smoother sounding than a flowmaster i heard on another 280zx. As for sounding like a ricer, you wont. Maybe because its a straight six instead of a 4, but there is nothing raspy or "weed whackerish" about it. The sweet sound comes around 4500 +, when it turns from mellow to a kind of ragged scream. I cant wait to hear this thing when i get it to 10:1 and put my bigger cam in it. The first time i took it that high i was giggling from the sound, its so much better than that targa crap MSA sells. Put a bigger pipe on while youre at it too, 1/4 inch or so. You'll be glad you did.

BTW, you'll love the first time some honda revs at you, you rev back and yours sounds like a badass. They just kind of scowl at you :D .

Mitch

I've searched them, Spintech and Flowmaster looking for a reasonably quiet unit that has 3 1/2" in and at least that out and I'm having a bugger of a time. Anybody with leads on a really big bore muffler? (LS1 piped through a single exhaust in the stock location.)

Guest smoov280zx

Magnaflow has a couple on their site. Under race series there are 3, 3.5 and 4" inlet/outlet mufflers. Also under XL Mufflers there are a couple big enough. You might need a few :D , my ears are hurting just thinking about your car on a single pipe exhaust. Good Luck.

Mitch

It's on a single pipe flowmaster exhaust now but it's a single 2 1/2". Car is very quiet at cruise but starts to howl at high rpm. Actually a pretty nice set-up from a drivability standpoint but it's choking the LS1 and hurting both my 1/4 times and my fuel economy.

• 1 month later...

Magnaflow is a loud muffler.. i have the street series on my car... and at high rev it is ear piercing, but mean as hell. My friend had a race series on his acura integra... too loud for my taste... we'd have the system up in his car and still hear the damn muffler.

Also... if you need a 3" muffler you should be looking for "turbo mufflers" turbos all import turbo mufflers are 3" in 3" out... apexi makes an N1 straught through muffler but kinda loud.

Ed

I just had a 3" mandrel bent exhaust installed on my '73 240Z Turbo, with a 3"in/3"out 5x8x14 universal fit, stainless steel Magniflow muffler (pn 14219). It's very quiet compared with the 2 1/2" system I had with a cherry bomb on the end. Even my mechanic was surprised by how quite it is. Mind you, I also had a cat installed. Anyway, I'm happy with the Magnaflow, and it fit just fine in the space available.

Keep in mind that how a muffler sounds has a lot to do with the kind of engine it's attached to. You don't say what you have in your post. Turbo, N/A, V8? If you have a Turbo, a "Turbo" muffler doesn't necessarily mean that it's meant for a turbo engine. "Turbo" mufflers are a baffled mufflers and have been around for ever - old technology.

Nigel

'73 240ZT