HybridZ

Turn-key Crate Engines

I own a 77 280z that is ready for some good HP, so I will go with the V-8 conversion. My mechanic says that with enough money he can drop just about anything in my Z and smoke just about every car on the street. I believe him but I have decided to go with a 350 Chevy just because it seems to be the most common V-8 swap and therefore, more convinient.

I have not heard much about using a turn-key crate engine. I did some researech and found a couple of manufacturers that will sell a 350 Chevy, turn-key ready crate engine rated at 420HP, 415lbs of torque for about $4,875.00.

It seems like a decent deal, taking in consideration that all the engine setup work has already been done. This alone will shave many hours off the project.

Has anyone used a turn-key ready crate engine before?

Comments/suggestions are more than welcome

Crate engines are pretty common, and routinely discussed, on this board. To try and summarize some of the dialog I have read. For low dollar/moderate performance engines it is hard to beat the price of a crate. When you add up the machining costs and price of a rebuild kits the crate engines are hard to beat. Especially when you consider the cost of potential unknowns (such as a cracked block and/or assembly screw up). The warrantees are a definite plus and several members have spoken highly of them when claims were made (for GM engines at least).

When it comes to a higher HP engines, the Grumpyvette contention is you can do better on your own. Make sure you consider all the costs. His example is the ZZ430 knock off (a GM Fast Burn 385 with hot cam, cam kit, 750 carb and some odds and ends pumping out a streetable 430 HP). That engine will quickly add up to $7000 for a true turn key, ready to start package. See scroggins-dixie's web site to see what I mean. Grumpyvette also went on to say the ZZ430 knock off is still too torque oriented for a Z. If you build your own you can select components to move the HP up in RPM. This is a good idea with a light weight Z car.

Which brings me to a question for you. Where did you find a420 HP turn key crate engine for 5 grand? That is a very good price. I would be interested in something like that myself. Can you post a link?