HybridZ

5.3 Vortec V-8

I was looking at the one in my Suburban last night. contrasting and comparing it to the LS1 in my Z. What really amazed me was the height of the intake. It has to be 5-6" taller than the intake on the LS1. Won't that be a problem for intallation in a Z? Can LS1 intakes be swapped in to reduce the height? Has anyone thoroughly evaluated (completed) this swap? It seems to be a really good engine but obviously comes with it's own set of challenges.

The swap has been done. Hit the search button there is a phto from zcar.com (I think) showing a completed swap. I'm in the process of doing one, but have to finish body and paint b/4 I tackle the installation. The major issues are oil pan (waay too deep rear sump) and exhaust manifolds (might fit but I doubt it). Intake will clear Z hood, but is really ugly. The LS1 intake will bolt on, but there will be interference with serpentine belt idler. On the good side is that the accessories (other than AC) are mounted high on driver's side.

g

I photographed, (but never published photos later), a completed and running Vortec swap (just completed the night before) at MSA 2003 show by a specialty auto parts importer from Japan. I chatted with the manager of the import company and the chief engineer of the project for awhile.

3 things that most caught my attention was how nice the engine idled in the car, the obvious fact that they had not yet figured out how they were going to get the stock hood to close and the comment that the Japanese company intended to take the car back to Japan to use for promoting their company's auto enhtusiast roots by showcasing it at events in Japan instead of in the Us.

Someday I'll get the photos published at ZPARTS.COM also.

Plainswolf

Thanks for the excellent effort on posting all that GEN III engine info. I saved it to read tonight.

Metro. That is the same car that I photographed last year, but those aren't my photos. I asked the owner and engineer to drive it out from under the yellow tent canopy it was under into the sunlight for me to take photos. Unfortunately, the harsh sun over exposed the white paint on the car so badly that the engine seemed to float within a washed out wasteland.

Anyway, I reviewed my photos of the same engine swap, that reside on my hard drive only and I don't think any are much better that what you posted except that mine show many angles of the engine in the car plus the front half of the car and unique wheels on it so I'd say yours are plenty good for this discussion.

Thanks much for rounding those up to share.

Over on LS1TECH.COM in their Truck Performance forum there are several good discussions relating to the differences between the truck and LS1 intake manifolds and what is involved in swapping the LS1 in for the truck manifold.

g