HybridZ

TACH REMOVAL!!

LS1 Z

O.K. I did a search and found nothing. My big ??!! How do you remove the tach from the dash? The car is a 77 280z. I removed the single phillips screw. Nothing came out. Do I need to remove the whole dash? Need to take out to send to JOHN'S CARS for my LS1 conversion. (keeping factory gauges) Any help would be great!!!!!

THANK YOU!!

JOEY A.K.A. LS1 Z

Guest gtplus2

I have a '72 and have changed the tach on it, I presume that they could not be mounted that different. You will have to reach around the back side of the tach behind the dash, out the back of the tach 180 degress horizontally will be two studs with small wing nuts that need to be undone. and a VERY short pig tail that will need to be unpluged. After You have addressed those issues the tach will come out the front of dash. Very little room to work with, so be patient! -Bob

I just took one out of a 78 and all I had to do was take the screw out of the front face and then under the dash there is one lonely screw in line with the tach to take out. You dont have to go to deep either. Should be the first phillips screw you see logically in line with the tach. Then pull it out. Good Luck.

Jim

• 4 months later...

I just took the tach and speedo out of my 75. One screw in the top and one under the dash. I learned something some of you may want to remember though. I have the full dash cover that I bought from Motorsport or Victoria British. The cover fits part way in the holes for the speedo and tach. Guess what? The bezels around the gauges would not clear the cover so I had to mutilate them to get them out (They are being replaced with Autometer ProComp Ultralites :D). Even though the cover is a nice snug fit that conforms to the holes I still could not get the gauges out. Just something to keep in mind if you are going to use a cover.