HybridZ

Aftermarket AC or not

Owen

After replying to another post in this thread about aftermarket ACs, I again came to the conclsusion that I WANT AC but DON'T WANT to pay that much for it!

I figure I can just get the blower and evaporator from Vintage, etc. and source the other parts myself like the junkyard, parts shops, ebay. Is it not worth it to do this? There might even be something in the junkyards that I can swap right in....note- I don't want to use the stock blower location as my ECU and other crap is mounted there.

My other choice is...my roll cage bars are blocking the dash vents, so I don't really need the big expensive in dash units. The underdash units with built in vents seem to be a lot cheaper....I don't need the air blowing on certain parts of my body, just need to get the air in the car cooler, that's all.

The only ducting I would need to do is for the defrost on the windshield.

What do you guys think about my choices?

Owen

You could relocate the blower unit and ducts right behind your seat similar to the console unit on your link. Or you could reroute the ducts thru the roll bar and use the roll bar as ducts. But you may have to disassemble the rollbar to run ducting thru it and get a stronger fan in the stock location. I dunno how your gonna put an under dash, it doesnt seem like it has enough room. Check out e-bay for some of the other A/C parts, like receivers, dryers, expansion valves, etc..... they have good prices once in a while.