HybridZ

Instead of sleeves...

CruxGNZ

For installing the '87-'89 clutch LSD carrier into a older differential with 10mm ring gear bolts, why can't I just get a bolt that is just as long as the ring gear bolt but with the right diameter to fit snugly into the LSD carrier ring gear bolt holes? This way you can just tap the ring gear itself for the new bolt. Can I do this?

I was looking at getting some metric tubing to make sleeves out of, but at an average of $28 a meter for the stock and most came in 2 meter lengths, I figured that's a bit much to make this work. If I can just tap the ring gear to accept bigger diameter bolts to make it work, why not?

Sounds to simple, so am I missing something?

!M!

You could have a shouldered bolt made at a macine shop, just use larger bolts as the stock to cut. I had some custom bolts made for plugging smog injector holes on an old Hyundai once. There were 4 of them and they charged me $20 for all four. They were considerably more complicated then what you would need.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

After much searching I was finally able to obtain the needed metric tubing in coated seamless steel for the sleeves.

I have the sleeves available for the 10mm ring gear bolts to fit in a 12mm carrier. With the cost of the tube, cutting wheels, and time involved for clean up of the sleeves, I'm pricing a set (of 10 sleeves) at $20. The sleeves are a perfect fit :2thumbs: .

PM me if you are interested in a set. I need to sell at least 2 sets to break even on the tubing.

!M!