HybridZ

Rear calipers...

Well the brakes on the Z have been acting up of late. Locked up the parking brake the other day, etc. Mechanic says it's time for new rear calipers. Does anyone besides MSA and VB carry the stock replacement rear calipers for a '82 280ZX? They are running $120 a caliper + Core :( I've also seen this caliper repair kit for sale. Does anyone know what all this entails? Thanks.

Is the repair kit really worth the time?

No way! It's a pain in the butt to work with. After a few nights futzing with the kit and the caliper, buying a caliper from the parts store looked great to me.

I believe I bought the loaded caliper at Advance Auto or Parts America, or whatever the heck it's called now. The name changes every year or two from new ownership.

!M!

I believe I bought the loaded caliper at Advance Auto or Parts America' date=' or whatever the heck it's called now. The name changes every year or two from new ownership.

[/quote']

Yeah, they got em there. I work there. And it is funny, last 10 years there has been 4 name changes. They are buying every small chain out and changing them to advance auto. Make sure to keep your slips to, where they dont see light. When the name changes the computer system doesnt keep info for the old warantees, so you have to keep old slips, which fade fast in contact with light or friction.

In Chicago we have a few small shops that do caliper rebuilding and supply Auto Parts stores and fleets, and do custom rebuilds too. Try the phone book to see if there is a shop near you, maybe listed under 'wholesale, caliper rebuild' or 'wholesale auto parts rebuilding'. The guys I hooked up with here are nice, made a good relationship and the care is better, and price were about half of at the A/P store.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm with Ross on this one. i recently completely rebuilt a set of 240sx rear calipers (which are almost identical to the 280zx calipers, parts wise), and if you don't have the correct tools it takes quite a bit of screwing around to get all the parts out (that's the easy part) and then back in again :x:shock::? . only after you have them back together again do you find out whether or not the e-brake cammed lobe piece needs to be replaced or not ($35 each) don't ask me how i know that :wink: