HybridZ

this low without sectioning struts ?

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9388

ok plain and simple, I have a 1972 240z and want to lower it to that height however I've heard that going to low and you need to section struts to gain back travel.

I've done MANY SEARCHES and found that anything beyond 2 inchs you should start to section your struts and how to swap cartriges to make the sectioning work. Such as moving the front struts to the back and so on.

but I have NO clue how low my car already is or if it even is low, and I know I want my car at low as his but does going that low require me to section my struts ? if so by how much ? 1inch ? 2 ?

the car's goal is 250lbs front and 300lbs rear springs and mms coilovers.

rare occasions of drag but mostly street/scca running. I don't like the idea of lowering to much and losing strut travel but I have no clue how much I can lower my car before I lose travel. (new to z's) I also plan to run the bumpsteer spacers and run 17's and most likly use the arizona z car's 4130 controll arms, unless there is another alternitive.

any opinions wanted ideas and places to get things done local (specifically the sectioning of the struts since i'm no welder) or onlines shops to buy new struts MEANT for sectioned strut tubes.

Cablesvr,

I have actually done the set-up you are talking about to my 1970 (see 240ZX photo gallery @ Classic Zcar Club site). I used the Ground Control set-up but it doesn't matter who's coilover kit you use as they are generally the same. When I discussed my plans with Ground Control, they advised me to shorten my struts by 1 1/2". They also sold me the correct inserts as well. They were quit helpful. Also, if you intend to run 8" or 9" wide 17's in the rear you will need 8" (free length) springs. I also installed the 1" bumpsteer spacers which basically position the transverse link near the original position (a good thing!) Also, you may want to concider adjustable camber plates so you can adjust in the correct camber. (If you go low without camber adjustment capability, you will end up with way too much negative camber). I run my Z on th street so I used 200 lbs. springs in the front with a 25mm sway bar and 275 lbs. springs in the rear with a 19mm sway bar. Inserts are Tokico non-adjustables. The adjustable shock do however provide you with better set-up options but they do cost more. Hope this info helps out.

Yea I know about the 8in springs with wider wheels as I plan 10in front and 12in rear with custom flares that I plan to make once I get the ccw's I want.

and also agree on the 1in bumpsteer spacer to help correct how low I'm going.

Checked out your classiczcar.com gallery and yup that's about how low I want :D

now question is with you sectioning your struts 1 1/2in's, do you ever hit your bumpstops ? and how much suspension travel do you still have ?

Btw thanks for the info :D

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9388

ok plain and simple' date=' I have a 1972 240z and want to lower it to that height [/quote']

Actually the car shown above isn't lowered much from OEM in the front, the rear however looks too low unless it's sectioned (ie. car does not look level at all to my eyes) ......rears I've typically seen that low that were not sectioned were on old OEM springs and would rub on squat and cornering.....

For that front height sectioning is certainly not required.

'2126' do be aware you're on the threshold for Tokico's with your 275 springs. They may treat you well or blow out prematurely depending on the rigors you put them through and your good fortune. We typically won't recommend them at spring rates above 250 without cautioning buyers. Ground Control set me up years back with Illumina's and higher rate springs, then later stated they were now aware of Tokico limits but previously had not been (this is once mine blew). Some Tokcios users do OK with even higher spring rates but typically only on autox high hp cars that don't see any hard use for more than a minute, so the heat and stresses aren't very signifant on those Tokico setups.

Ok so Ross if I were to lower my car as low as the rears (all around) like in the picture I'd have to section my struts to keep strut travel correct ? and if so by how much and can you provide the correct struts I need ?

Perferably I'd like the tokico illumina's but can they handle 250 front and 275 rear and would that be stiff enough to keep me from rubbing at that height ? if they can't do you have shortened struts that are adjustable and can ?

Ok so Ross if I were to lower my car as low as the rears (all around) like in the picture I'd have to section my struts to keep strut travel correct ? ...can you provide the correct struts I need ?

Yes' date=' to all above, drop me an email so we can ask you all our other questions and make a specific recommendation for you :)

Thanks,

[email']sales@modern-motorsports.com[/email]