HybridZ

What is a fair price for this work?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Been thinking about some work I am gonna have done on my Z... I found a Z shop really close to my house... his prices seemed reasonable on some things, but now on this I'm not so sure.

I need to have the transmission dropped. I want to replace my rear main seal, and both front and rear seals on the tranny. I also want to replace the tranny mount. And, lastly, if I need to, I will get the clutch replaced as well. Here are the prices he quoted me, of course this is if he's doing it all at once, but this is the broken down price list:

R&R'ing the tranny, installing the three seals, labor only: $350

Cost of the three seals: $10-25 each (figuring about $50)

R&R'ing the tranny mount, I believe labor only: $100 (???)

Cost of the mount: ???

Installing the new clutch, labor only: $50

Clutch: about $300

Total: approx $900, or about $1000 with tax

I dunno but this seems kinda high to me for a clutch job and some seals and a mount. Do you guys think the labor prices are reasonable? How much should I expect to pay for this?

R&R'ing the tranny' date=' installing the three seals, labor only: $350

Cost of the three seals: $10-25 each (figuring about $50)

R&R'ing the tranny mount, I believe labor only: $100 (???)

Cost of the mount: ???

Installing the new clutch, labor only: $50

Clutch: about $300

Total: approx $900, or about $1000 with tax[/quote']

Well they will already have the trany out so. . .

R&R trany mount ??? The trany is out in the floor (if clutch job is done) ???

Installation of the clutch kit ??? Again the trany is already out ??? Should be parts only IMO. Well if they remove the flywheel to install new rear main seal.

Now if you go this far, get the flywheel surfaced.

The parts pricing seems ok, but I would ? some of the extra labor.

Guest bastaad525

So the extra $150 he's asking for the tranny mount and clutch labor is bogus right?

Personally I dont even see $350 being reasonable to R&R a tranny. When I had my camaro and the tranny went bad, it cost me $350 to remove, rebuilt and reinstall the thing alltogether, and it was an auto, aren't they more expensive to deal with in general? On that same camaro I later had the tranny removed and reinstalled for $100 to diagnose a strange vibration that ended up being a wobbling crank.

I'm gonna try to find that shop again.

Guest bastaad525

Good news for me :) I decided to look up the tranny shop that I had taken that camaro too, the one that removed, rebuilt and reinstalled it for $350... mind you this was like 7-8 years ago, and to my good luck turns out they are still in business (this is very rare for me!!! all the good cheap shops are always out of business by the time I go back!).

So anyways, his labor for R&R'ing the tranny, replacing the rear main seal, tranny mount, as well as the front and rear tranny seals, and clutch, came out to $325!!!! SWEET! I think that also included the price on the seals, but not the price on the mount or clutch.... so figure another $300. A good couple hundred dollars less than the Z place was gonna charge me.

Moral of the story: it pays to shop around, and when you find good deals remember where you found them!

i payed 220 to get my tranny completly resealed (parts and labor) and i agree witht the others... tranny mount time is bogus.. tell him you'll screw it on yourself in his shop, only one nut. I think the clutch price is a little high aslo i got my Centerforce 2 for 170 new

hope that helps.

-Ed

Guest bastaad525

Nismo280zed - damn you even beat this other guys price by a mile.... hell I shoulda shopped around more!!!

The shop I took it too is Transmission Super Shop on Sepulveda in Van Nuys CA... guys been in business for a lonnnnnnng time now. Very cool guy, though I guess not as cheap as I originally thought!