HybridZ

HELP!!

CableSrv

Ok first off i'm no welder nore do I have the ability right now to fabricate anything out of metal.... yes poor me :(

Now this is what I need help with. I'm taking first gen 300zxt seats (yes powered) and trying to put them in a 240z, however the mounts are different and more wider on the 300zxt seats which makes it impossible to use stock mounting.

I'm willing to pay for someone's time to help me fabricate some mounts or a way to MOUNT these seats in a 240z even willing to barbeque :D

perferably someone local..... as I don't think I can afford a plane ticket.... or frieghting my car somewhere :P

I have basic tools such as socket wrenchs, 1 ton hydraulic lifting thingy (can't remember the name at this specific time...) wrenchs and HOT GLUE GUN!! ....(do you think I could hot glue the seats in ?... maybe not...)

PLEASE HELP AN UNCONFORTABLE Z OWNER PUT IN BETTER SEATS!!!

I'm in North Richland Hills Texas

Guest 305240

I've got a set of 280 seats for my 240. I know I need to change seat rails to get them to bolt up. I have a set of full power seats in my wife's 300zx and love them. Thanks for the idea. I'll have to check around for another set. When and if I do get them, I'll tell you what I had to do to get them mounted.

How far does one go,

The first conversion on Z31 seats into 280ZX was just to weld tabs onto the inboard mounts to narrow the mounting and put 1/2in spacers between the seat base and rail on the outer runner so that the seat wasn't tipped towards the outside. The front runner mounts needed to be bent square and the holes elongated.

Take 2 I didn't like the seat rubbing on the sill trim so I stripped both lots of seats and used modified Z31 seat backs on 280ZX seat bases with the seat foam off the Z31s. Which is where I'm at at the moment, but the adjustable side squab mech digs into my ribs, so I was going to get another left Z31 seat for the foam and part of the spring support. ( note Aus is RH drive)

To put the trim back on you use fence netting clips and tool, very similar to what trimmers use. Thats my saga . Neil

personally i've done a test fit of the z31 seats and they fit SNUG

I do agree about a slight bit of rub on the sill but not enough to bother me. second i'm 5'10 and 150lbs so NOTHING rubs my ribs and at the lowest setting on the seats for the side support FIT ME SNUG!! which is another reason I want them. Another thing is i'm a 240z so my mounting is different from yours by a little bit I think.

I posted this earlier, but what is off on the mounting is this

the z31 seats have this type of mounting _------ where the front end angles down and the rear end is tabs. the front end has horiztonal bolt system where as the rear end is vertical bolts.

now on a 240 both front and rear are both normal vertical bolts and nuts.

now here is more issue. the z31 seats are wider in track than the 240z seats and they are off..... meaning the bolt holes for the side near the door sill are closer to mounting than near the trans tunnel.

the door sill is like 1/2 of an inch off but the near the trans tunnel it's like almost 2 inchs off. THEN not only is it wider but its longer tooo!! meaning the front mounts are BEHIND the front mounts of the seat by like 2 1/2 inchs!!!

I don't have a welder nore do I know someone who does and no idea on how to make or fab a bracket myself to fit them which is why I need some help from someone that could. I'LL PAY if possible

me and a friend are going to look at it this weekend to see if our heads can come up with some rig to do it but without welding or the ability to make metal mounts I'm not sure how sturdy it will be!!

OH HELL I'LL JUST HOT GLUE GUN IT DOWN!!!

Guest bastaad525
Well Fudge anyway. :( I'm 6'3". 270#'s. Guess the seat swap is out for me. Oh well.

almost exactly my size... Some seats I think would work well for larger guys are seats from a Prelude (which I may end up doing myself, I have an '89 prelude Si with very nice seats), from a miata, or from an RX7. My friend just bought a first gen RX7 and the seats look like they would fit GREAT into the 240...

Well I guess I'll help ya out...

First.

Junk the 300zx sliders.

Second.

Remove the 240 sliders from your stock seats.

Third.

mount the 240 rails in the car. (for measurement purposes)

Fourth.

Get some thick cardboard and tape it to the bottom of the 300zx seats.

Fifth.

Now sit the seat in the car and determine the best location of the seat, and draw and outline of the seat rails on the cardboard that is taped on the bottom of the seats.

(follow so far?)

Now you have a template of the seat rail position in the car.

get some nice 1/8 thick flat bar steel and take it to a shop with a welder and ask the guy to weld the flat bar to the seat where it will line up to the mounts on the seat rails.

Drill the new flat bar welded to the seat with holes that line up with the stock seat rails, and bolt or weld the seat to the seat rails.

Kinda hard to describe, as Its been a while since I've done it, but hopefully you get the idea.

Some of the race seats I have seen have a flate plate on the bottom of the seat. This allows for mounting anywhere... just line up with your seat mounts, and weld a way.

Hope it helps ya.

Sorry I missed this one until now. Been working some mean hours lately.

I don't have a welder, but I have a friend in Watauga that can help us out with that one. Just pm me and we'll swap phone numbers and work out the details. Besides, I've been wanting to see this swap done. What better way to see it done then to do it. Did you pick the seats up from Jerry, at All Z's?

spotfitz, LOL it's ok man :D

actually I have a first gen 300zx in the garage sitting probably going to get rid of it as we dont' know what's wrong with engine and well it's been disassembled by my mom and well she isn't exactly the mechanical type.

turbo is removed engine is semi off the mounts and oil pan unbolted and just hanging and exhaust cut and now seats taken out.....

My mom decided to sell the car either whole or to part it out so I took the seats.

I need to contact all z's soon to see if they would buy it whole from us... or if someone else would want it.

either way last weekend was me installing a new sound system in my car.

making customer fiberglass box and pods for rear speakers. not bad for my first attempt at fiberglass :D

and yea any help you could provide would be awesome

zr8ed, as much as you make a good point here is the problems I see with this idea.

first the driver seat is POWER sliders so I can't just remove that easily and still keep a slider intack..... plus I like the idea of power slider..

and no I can't just get another non power 300zx seat which the passenger seat just so happens to be...

second if we are welding why weld the seat to use 240z sliders when we can just weld the car to fit 300zx sliders ? less metal most likly and less weld required in my opinion. then there is that I don't know a welder issue also.....

if we had a welder.... I see no reason how we wouldn't be able to get them mounted.

LOL so you where going to help free ? including the metal needed to weld ?

if so then HELL YEA IT'S STILL ON!!!

I just hate having to inconvience someone times to help weld or do whatever to add these seats in. which is why I originally offered to pay for your time, but as my last post stated money gone to bills and concert...

it's ok tho cause most of next check is good so around 500 bucks :D