HybridZ

choice of Z year?

Guest Anonymous

Hi there. I'm a hybrid wannabe and I've never driven a 1st generation Z so I'm not an expert on them. What are you guys talking about when you say that the door mechanisms on the 280's are better than the 240's? Do the 240 doors not close flush? Also, would adding a rollcage to a 240 make it as stiff as a 280?

The catch mechanism on a 240 is physically different from the later models (and most modern cars as well). They simply do not work as well as the later versions. Don't know how much car flex has to do with it. The hinges on the 240's are also a weak point. Get a bit of door droop when it is opened.

The 240's do flex considerably. Mine has paint cracks at the top of the C pillars. From what I have read this is common. Pete P's subframe connectors should remedy that.

Personnaly, I am using a 280Z. It has alot more stiffening members and heaver sheet metal. I also added frame stiffening. I feel that with the amount of HP I am running I won't notice the additional weight and the overall stiffness compared to a 240 with the same mods is much better, not to mention a bit less drone too!

Well I'm already here so I'm throwing in my 2 cents.

If you're planning on doing the V8 swap, I would recommend the early 240Z's. They're lighter and smog exempt. That's pretty important here in CA. not sure about Tex.

As far as price goes I've heard many people feel the 240's are more expensive than the 260's and 280's but I've seen 240's in decent shape go for a good price. I got mine for $500 running, very little rust, and running good. I would keep an eye on this site's buy,sell forum for a good project car since it seems most everyone here has good knowledge on the Z-cars.

Good Luck

Jaime

• 2 years later...
Guest 73LT1Z

I was wondering the same thing as the topic. The '73 I was going to use (hence the username) is too rough, so I am now looking at a 77-78 280.

My prior project was a 383 in a 1984 RX7, more trouble than it was worth.

I have the original LT1 and T56 from my Trans Am on the engine stand/shop floor, so I have a good head start.

I wanted to put them into a Chrysler Conquest / Mitsubishi Starion, but that appears to be too difficult to undertake, and there is little to no support/info on this (unlike the Z).

This forum kicks butt for information!

Guest 73LT1Z
anonymous - What are you asking for your Z32 convertible - PM me with some details.

I resurrected this thread after almost 3 years, I suspect his car has been sold by now.