HybridZ

CORBA 427 KIT CARS

DAT240Z

Guest bastaad525

Odd I dont remember ever seeing prices for the superformance stuff even in some info they sent me... I think you buy their stuff thru seperate dealers or something like that... maybe the prices vary. I'm very curious as well. I know a finished FF5 will cost you around $15-20 if you stay basic, and I think they say that average cost to have someone assemble it for you would add about $5k to that... maybe a good indication of the Superformance cost?

Guest MistressMotorsports

The Daytona Coupe replica is in the high 60's or 70's. I figured it was going to cost darn near $100k to complete one with any decent engine good enough for what the car deserves. Maybe a bit less if you do your own engine and install, but I was thinking injected, stroker Windsor with high dollar fuel managment. Whatever the engine, this is WAY more than I could ever spend on a car.

The 427 Cobra replica is high 30's minus the engine and trans, most are being professionally finished with $20k drivetrains, so figure almost $60k to get on the road unless you do your own budget drivetrain. I bought mine used and paid $47k. Mine had a 393 Windsor making about 525 hp and a Tremec 5 speed. Also had Baer Alcons, custom Koni double adjustables and a bunch of other stuff. Used Superformances are going in the high $30k range right now. Anyway, there are a couple people who actually do drive their replicas every day. One guy from the east coast has over 40,000 miles on his Superformance already, pretty impressive.

Mike

Guest bastaad525

Oh man FORGET THAT!!!! yeah I followed some links and found a local dealer of the Superformance cars. Their basic Cobra package WITHOUT DRIVETRAIN costs $39,900!!!! They had some classified ads for preowned Cobras in various states all in the $50-60k range!! I'm really shocked.... are they really so much better than the FF5 kits to justify around double/tripple the price??? They better be!!! FF5 kit - $11,000, Mustang donor car - $2000-3000, Paint - $3000, Labor for assembly if you don't do it yourself - $5000, Total - about $25k.

Think I'll stick to daydreaming about an FF5..... $40-60K!!!! They're nuts!!!

Guest MistressMotorsports

The difference in your scenario is almost as simple as new parts versus old parts. With a Superformance, everything is new, the cars are built on an assembly line just like a normal street car and have very close tolerances, great fit and finish, etc. You also get a soft top and a toneau cover, which you don't get with the FFR. The body details are more accurate and the build quality is standardized, not up to the one doing the work.

With an FFR, if you use a $2000 donor, you get used (worn out?) everything from the engine and trans to the fuel and brake systems to the suspension, steering, radiator, plumming, wheels, etc. This is not necessarily a problem, it's just a personal choice about what you want your car to be. If you want an inexpensive driver with a stock Mustang GT powertrain, you certainly can do the FFR for $25k or even less. I think there is a group that prides themselves on getting their cars completed for less than $20k. Start hotrodding the engine, go with IRS, big brakes, aftermarket (Cobra looking?) wheels, etc., and your costs go up. Go with new components or just replace the worn ones and your costs go up. Pretty soon you wind up with a car that approaches the Superformance in cost. There are lots of guys with over $40k in their FFRs, which again is not a problem, it's all just personal taste and priorities. Mostly the FFR and Superformance serve different markets. There is a reason why FFR sells more kits than anybody else, and that's price. There are also cars like Backdraft and others that are in between an FFR and a Superformance in price and quality. Then there are Kirkhams or Shelby aluminum replicas that cost even more.

I bought my Superformance because I loved the fit and finish, and because it was a decent compromise between street and track worthiness. I would never sway anyone away from an FFR or any other car, just understand what you really get if you budget $25k. Of course, with the FFR, you can start budget and upgrade later, which is hard to do with the SPF.

Mike

Personally, i love FFR because of thier pure heart as a company. I've talked to all the main names in the cobra buisness and all them won't talk to me (being as i'm 16 and only dreaming) exept FFR.

I like how FFR's chassis is one of the strongest out there, and thier spec racer is well worth the weight. At 2300 Lbs it's more than 300% stonger due to thicker chassis tubing (that's were the weight is) and computer engineered chassis.

I WILL one day own a FFR spec racer that's street legal. But i think FFR's GTM-100 Mulsane is much more intruging than any cobra replica. You're talking about a build cost at about 40k that will outperform MOST supercars. 0-60 in low 3 secs, with 1/4 mile times in the 11's.

FFR has TONS of race proven ecperience, and they're plenty willing to talk about it. I've talked to FFR employees at races about things like supentions, chamber theory, other tech stuff, and they're always willing to talk about things they've changed from thier racing. They're winning all sorts of races back east (everything is back east to us cali people) and even here at sears point FFR cars have fastest times for several classes.

Another thing to think about is that FFR changes things depending on what engine you say your putting in. They set up the car to fit your engeine. So if you wanna use a 500+ HP Big block they'll set up the front suspention to accomodate and other things that will need to be taylored to that engine choice.

Also, if you get a spce race with full options, the only thing you're putting in is an engine/tranny, and driveshaft. The driveshaft has to be vut anyway, so just get a custom legnth. And then just buy a new engine and tranny isntead of buying donor parts. Now you have all new parts like superperformance for around 25 - 30k. I've seen people go wild on cobras too. I've see 1000+HP cobras with no frame mods with absolutly no frame twist at all. On the track they stay straight as anything.

Personally, i think FFR makes one of the most reliable cars in the world, let alone the kit industry. And thier customer service will reveal why they sell more kit cars than anyone else.

Well, i've talked enough... that's alot more than .02 worth. But hey, it's only my passion right?

Guest bastaad525

Agreed, that was the first thing I noticed about them, and one of the things I like most about them that would almost guarantee I'd buy one of their kits even if it wasn't the best quality kit... their customer service reps just plain rock. I've called them a couple times with some really stupid questions or just to jaw back and forth and they've never come off as rude or too busy even though it was only obvious i wasn't going to be buying a kit any time soon. Even their information packet they send out for free really speaks a lot about them just being the kind of company you would be really happy to do business with.