HybridZ

Rear ride height problem after installing coilovers help!!

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

I have not shortened my struts but my rear sits about 3.6 inches high and that's with the adjustable collar all the way down. As the instructions stated in my coilover purchase I was to

* for those with 5" long coilover SLEEVES/TUBES and 10" long springs,

the top of your sleeve is to be placed at least 1" below the top of your

strut tube (so you can easily install/remove your strut tube gland nut

without your gland nut wrench torquing on the threaded aluminum tube.)

* for those with 280Z 4" long coilover SLEEVES/TUBES the top of your

sleeve is to be placed at least 1" below the top of your strut tube (so you

can easily install/remove your strut tube gland nut without your gland nut

wrench torquing on the threaded aluminum tube.)

Did I do something wrong. I have 5 inch sleeve collars and 10 inch springs. So I'm suppose to weld my new perches so the collar sits one inch below the strut top. that's exactly what I did as shown in picture.

Is my rear suppose sit that high. Feels like stock. I am running 225 50 15 tires so it's going to have an extra .5 inch lowering. thanks.

Ill be really upset if I have to redo my rear setup again :(

I almost forgot to mention. I have 280z suspension in my 240z. Was that the problem? Was I suppose to see a height difference and take that into account from the 2 models. Damn this sucks sorry but Im just tired right now of spinning wrenches and relocating at the same time.

springs are 225 rear and 200 front.

here is the current rear situation.

Picture%201479.jpg

Picture%201478.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you swap the big rubber insulators on the top of the coilovers? The 280's are much thicker than the 240's.

I guess you didn't section the struts, since you were asking about the spacers the other day. I know the 280 struts are different diameter, possibly longer??? You might NEED to section the struts to run the 280 stuff. I think there were some recent posts on that topic. Here's one: http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=33097 Maybe talk to Tim240z and see what he did.

You could run a shorter spring too, but I think to fix it right you'll be back in there again... :(

Jon

Man I cant believe this!!!!! All this freaking hard work and I have a useless rear end right now hehe.

Really disappointed I don't know what I did wrong. it looks like the only way to correct this is to get the perches much lower about 2 inches at least.

Is sectioning required? I though that was if you wanted to go ultra low but not me right now. I can still lower my front an inch they are about the height I want them at now.

I guess you have to section because it effect strut travel.

Yes I'm using the 240z smaller strut mounts.

Ross can I have some input please if you are around.

I guess after thinking alot about this suspension setup and I thought I was taking my sweet time doing it. Something has to go wrong as always with me. If someone reading this please take this into account and pass it on.

Thanks Juan

Well after measuring roughly with a tape measure it appears that the 280 strut tube is about 1-1.5 inches taller than the 240. If you used the 280 strut mount isolator it is also 3/4 or 1 inch taller than the 240 isolator. The rest of that extra height may be attributed to lower profile tires stiffer springs and struts vs. the worn out ones. and a lighter car sitting on those stiffer components isnt going to compress them much. Maybe some other guys will chime in with some better news.

Yes correct Jared. I have the 240z strut mount on but it sits that high with my current setup.

I'm going to tackle this and make this better known so someone doesn't make this mistake. I don't think this could have been unavoidable. Those little pesky things that get in the way are so easily unseen.

It appears that I will have to section my struts. I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel right now. I'm just stressed trying to get my car on the road for the summer and moving at the same time. I dump about 2k into this spring time work, people, situations and time seem to get into the way

Thanks for the help.

Juan

Guys, do any of you know what the thickness of the rear strut isolaters is. My car is a 260z 2+2 thats been imported from Japan so i dont know of i have early or late isolaters. The ones i have are almost 2 inchs thick. If the early ones are 3/4 inch shorter that will put the rear ride height just where i want it.

Cheers

Douglas

Well I took my z for a spin and wow. the setup feels great. I did this with a 2x4 board as a seat. its painful lol. I have to still install my seats

Here is what I decided to do for now

I will build custom strut insulators as a solution to gain about an inch or more. They will be made from aluminum. should be very simple.

I really don't want to hack and section into my struts as that was my first intention.

There so much junk that can be illuminated at the top. the front sits just fine for me.

I guess this is the price you pay to have stiffer springs.

I've learned alot

thanks again

Juan

Juan, be CAREFUL!!! :shock::shock::shock: The insulator flexes and allows the strut to change its angle when it compresses. Unless you put a monoball in the top to allow the strut angle to change, you're going to end up with a broken suspension.

Basically look at a set of camber plates to see what you need to do, because eliminating the rubber and not providing some way for the angle of the strut to change is going to BREAK stuff.

Now is the time to develop that cheap badass camber plate for those who don't already have them. Put a set on your car then sell them to hybridz'ers who need them. Or just buy some...

Jon

You are right about the ball joint as I have some here on another of my friend's coilovers.

Nice pointer for those who didnt know as I didnt myself.

Much like tension rods ,control arms, and sway bars in a way that go extreme.

Thanks Juan

I was doing a quick search on some monoballs but all I got was porsche products.

Who is a supplier of these. I did have a link to a site but lost it somewhere.

Thanks again

Juan

here is my friends monoball strut cap setup. I don't know if it was off another car or not. it looks homemade but a very nice job done.

this is the front suspension as you can see the little rollers that act as front steering bearings.

thanks for the info Jon

Juan

Picture.jpg

well I guess ill have to section after thinking alot about this today. man this sucks Sorry i keep saying this. I was under the impression you dont have to section. Ill tackle it in about 2 weeks once i relocate .

now I know I can use stock rear struts as those have spacers in them about 3 inches tall. what about the fronts? I have brand new tokico struts for a 280z on all corners.

Juan, their are those happily running OE unsectioned 280Z struts with 240Z tops with both lowering springs and coilovers. A quick search on hybridz just confirmed a few others with same combo, one thread just a couple weeks ago. Some did not section and others did, varying needs.

I'm not clear what's different about yours, your positively running the lower profile complete top strut mount? Did you trim the lower black lip on the OEM mount at all? If not one can sometimes gain up to 3/8" right their. Running only a single washer to space top spring hat to the OEM ount? You do have the 4" sleeves, not 5 as you noted. At full bottom with at least one inch above your tube, 10" springs should sit with top of spring

What travel remains right now in your strut? You can measure this up quickly and easily right off the bat to know if it's near compatible as is, if you have extra travel (ie. if shorter spring would do) or requires sectioning solely to regain required travel to sit at the height you want. What's your tire/rim overall OD?

PS, glad you got your rear brakes sorted out to get it driveable, what did you install?

Ross, I thought the 280 rear strut tubes were taller. So you could lower the perch, but you'd still end up with less travel. Hence the need to section. It looks to me like Juan could slap some 8" springs and get close to the ride height he wants, but that's no good if he's driving on the bumpstops...

Is that right?

Jon

Ross' date=' I thought the 280 rear strut tubes were taller. So you could lower the perch, but you'd still end up with less travel. Hence the need to section. It looks to me like Juan could slap some 8" springs and get close to the ride height he wants, but that's no good if he's driving on the bumpstops...

Is that right?

Jon[/quote']

Absolutely correct Jon, similar to when ON3GO was sorting his suspension, without knowing travel available etc AT the ride height desired one should not move to a change as all variables haevn't been considered. 280 tubes are longer, so allow less drop in height vs. a 240 tube, with both being unaltered and on a 240car.

HEy Ross thanks for looking at this topic. I honestly didn't expect you 2 as I know how busy you are and this is really my issue with parts and not your coilover setup.

well I have 280z struts on a 240z. So there is a huge difference in the rear.

Like I said and my photo shows that I correctly installed my coilovers. it sits 3.5 inches of gap between the tire and fender and that's with the adjustable collar all the way down.

I have the smaller 240z strut insulators as well.

Even if I trimmed the rubber it would still be awfully high.

Ross you mention 280z struts and 240z tops but is it on the 280z or 240z model?

Well Ill do some searching and restless sleeping.

Let me know if there is a simple solution. Looks like ill be tackling at it one way or another.. thanks

Juan