HybridZ

Brake Problem, What the Heck is this.

Well I was driving and noticed the car was getting sluggish and I thought that the fuel filter was plugging up, but when I let the clutch off the car came to a screaching halt and my brake pedal was hard as a rock. Back brakes were smoking real bad. I was close to home and idled it home, but their still locked up.

Car has stock brakes and I dont know the condition, but before I had to pump the brakes to make them work. Wow, any ideas?

Dale

78 280Z

Edit: It was both front and rear that locked up. Makes me wonder about the booster or MC, Maybe the pro valve.

The shear fact and content of your question indicates that you should take the car to a profesional mechanic and have the entire system inspected and repaired as required!!!! Otherwise you may become a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Oh that was helpfull. I thought this boards strong point was tech. Oh well. Looks like everything needs replacing. Brakes that sat for 10 years are not trustworthy so for now its new wheel cylinders, new MC, new front capilers, and I'm just going to ditch the P valve and mount an adjustable for the rears. While I'm at it I am thinging about Steel braied lines. I put them on another car and they made a nice difference. Anyway I about done rebuilding the brakes, and with any luck someone else will have to take the Darwin award. Hell I've won that so many times that it's time to let someone else have it.

I will upgrade the brakes at a later time, but I dont want to buy new wheels at this point. Fenders might be on order soon.

Dale

The shear fact and content of your question indicates that you should take the car to a profesional mechanic and have the entire system inspected and repaired as required!!!! Otherwise you may become a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Absolutely uncalled for!!

Dale,

Looks like you have some crap in your lines and likely a bad master. Replace the master cylinder, but before you bolt it up, undo the flexible lines from the calipers/drums and blow with compressed air, through the entire system.

Then bench bleed the master, install and bleed the system, starting with the fartherest wheel from the master (right rear).

Do a search on 'bench bleeding' and 'bleeding brakes'.....then start learning. I would also recommend that you pick up a manual for your vehicle and read it cover to cover until you have at least a basic understanding of the different systems/components of the vehicle...

Tim

I like the idea of the air hose Tim. I'll do that this weekend for sure. I do use a hand held vacuum pump the bleed with. I have a small chamber on it and I can pull about 20 inchs or so on it, open the valve, then run to the front a poor fluid for about 2 min.

I did bench bleed the MC and did the passanger rear first, then the driver rear, then the passenger front then the drivers front. Lots of dark fluid came out, but no chunks.

For what it's worth the rear wheel cylinders were trash, as were the shoes and springs.

There is a lesson to be learned here though. Always mock up your parts before assy. I got the first set of shoes and cylinder done then went to the other side and found that one of my shoes was missing a spring hole! The guy at Autozone wanted me to bring the whole set back! I refused and the another guy came over and just pulled out 1 new one and put it in my hand. --- I'm glad the counter was high.---