HybridZ

RB26 in a Z32?

I am still looking at doing an engine swap, and would love to be able to fit an RB26 in my Z32, with the 6 speed transmission. I know that it should fit, and since the turbos sit to the side I should be able to fit the intakes as well, but will the transmission fit? Isn't the GT-R transmission larger then the standard, and has anyone heard of mounting one on a Z32?

Don't start going off on this idea, it's just an idea. I am trying to decide what engine to start building ad getting ready to go into the Z, and even though I would like to do something unique like this, I have a feeling I will end up doing a TT swap with a VG30DETT anway.

I thought it was only a part time all wheel drive...... that it only shifted forward when traction was lost in the rear. Ahhh who knows. Thanks for the info, now I just have to figure out which I want to go with.

Do you by any chance know if the GTS-T will match with the Z ass end, or if I will need to take it's drive line and rear diff?

Guest ON3GO

the 300zx Z32 tranny should work on the RB26.. with that said then the stock driveshaft should work but might need to be made longer or shorter.. i dunno.

custom mounts will be needed and also you will need custom mounts and new radiator because of lack of space.

theres alot other things but you get the point..

mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nurv
I am still looking at doing an engine swap' date=' and would love to be able to fit an RB26 in my Z32, with the 6 speed transmission. I know that it should fit, and since the turbos sit to the side I should be able to fit the intakes as well, but will the transmission fit? Isn't the GT-R transmission larger then the standard, and has anyone heard of mounting one on a Z32?

Don't start going off on this idea, it's just an idea. I am trying to decide what engine to start building ad getting ready to go into the Z, and even though I would like to do something unique like this, I have a feeling I will end up doing a TT swap with a VG30DETT anway.[/quote']

Casper im not gonna go off on you. I noticed your post when i was searching for something and figured I would drop you some info.

The RB26 is naturally mated with a 5spd transmission except in the BNR34 which has a Getrag 6spd (same engineers as the MKIV Supra TT trans) that has a transfer case bolted up to it. For the RB swap the use of a BCNR33 GTS-T trans off of a RB25DET which mates up after the change of the oil pan on the 26 to the 25 pan. The front diff is mounted to the 26 pan and hits against the sway bar so thats no good. The Z32-TT and RB25 transmissions use the same gearsets inside but the case and the bolt patterns are different.

The engine fitment is something entirely different. an inline-6 vs a v6. It has been done before but only on a RHD z32. Im not saying it couldnt be done but it would be a tight fit and you may have to beat into the firewall, but not impossible. Im a active member on NICO, Nissan Infiniti Club Online, http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net, and alot of members said it wasnt possible to the S13/S14 240sx chassis but it was retaining the stock twins. Mckinney motorsports offers a Touge TT downpipe that clears the steering linkage. So its up to you. Its a really involved swap and the money has to be there as well as the expected upset and delays as its something no one has really done before. Hope this helps. Any questions just drop me a line at mlee2897@hotmail.com

-Mike

• 2 years later...
Guest Crispy Chicken
I am still looking at doing an engine swap, and would love to be able to fit an RB26 in my Z32, with the 6 speed transmission. I know that it should fit, and since the turbos sit to the side I should be able to fit the intakes as well, but will the transmission fit? Isn't the GT-R transmission larger then the standard, and has anyone heard of mounting one on a Z32?

Don't start going off on this idea, it's just an idea. I am trying to decide what engine to start building ad getting ready to go into the Z, and even though I would like to do something unique like this, I have a feeling I will end up doing a TT swap with a VG30DETT anway.

Is the rb that much better than the VG? I mean is the swap really worth it. Compared to building the VG. I might be missing something here.

Is the rb that much better than the VG? I mean is the swap really worth it. Compared to building the VG. I might be missing something here.

It really depends on the power delivery you want. The RB delivers most of its power in the upper rpm range and can be made to rev quite high. The VG is a torque monster making most of its power mid-range, and much more of it as well.

Overall if both were built using a similar setup I believe the VG would definitely outperform the RB (as proven many times). The RB is easier to mod from what I've seen but the VG is definitely a performer.

As a comparison, a company built a Skyline and a Z32 with nearly equal mods to both. The RB made roughly 10 hp more than the Z32. The Z32 however made over 300 lb. ft. torque more than the RB and nearly 3,000 rpm earlier as well (~4,400 rpm to the RB's ~7,000 rpm). Like I said... two totally different power deliveries.

Guest TeamNissan
It really depends on the power delivery you want. The RB delivers most of its power in the upper rpm range and can be made to rev quite high. The VG is a torque monster making most of its power mid-range, and much more of it as well.

Overall if both were built using a similar setup I believe the VG would definitely outperform the RB (as proven many times). The RB is easier to mod from what I've seen but the VG is definitely a performer.

As a comparison, a company built a Skyline and a Z32 with nearly equal mods to both. The RB made roughly 10 hp more than the Z32. The Z32 however made over 300 lb. ft. torque more than the RB and nearly 3,000 rpm earlier as well (~4,400 rpm to the RB's ~7,000 rpm). Like I said... two totally different power deliveries.

Agreed.

Jun did a awd rb26 in a z32 but I cant find the link. I remember it required one hell of a ugly bulge in the hood to fit it.

I was going to try and use a vg with a rb26 trans and pan to make a awd z32 with the stock engines tq and awd I think it would have been HOT. Some scum bag stole my donor car though so I sold the motor I built to a friend and bought a 240z lol.