HybridZ

ebay long block states new but is it ?

Ok guys I was looking on ebay to find a 280zxt engine and came across this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6763&item=2477716034&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

I'm not very familure with the z engines yet so does this look like a good deal ? guy told me it'd cost 250 shipping to my door for 700lbs.

he also said it's just a long block no ecu/header/turbo/intake/ nothing just pure long block. with timing chain, oil pan and oil pump and i think water pump.

so basically if this goes for 50 bucks and 250 shipping this is a nice apparently new block for 300 bucks ?

Guest bastaad525

If I had the money I'd buy it. Of course it's a gamble... sux that the shipping is so much or you could write off the $50 easily. Still not a bad investment.

Pretty sure a longblock isn't going to weigh anywhere close to 700lbs...especially not including the manifolds and turbo. ALso, keep in mind the auction says he got it from an auction and "believes" it has never been driven. Did he mention why he believes a car that old bought from an auction would have a new, never driven with motor in it? If his compression test is right it is way low as well. Just wanted to throw that out there.

JT

it's not new, not by a longshot.

at best it's reconditioned, but I would doubt that.

more than likely it was someone who started spiffing up the block while thehead was off getting valve work done around 180K miles.......

I have bought things out of police impound myself, and have good luck, but I would never call one of them "new".

New PAINT maybe, but not a 'new' block!

i doubt it's 700# unless it's packaged on one heluva heavy pallet. I can lift one of those longblocks out of the back of a truck, so there is NO WAY the block sans head is anywhere NEAR 700#! :D

Guest bastaad525

Well... what exactly is it missing? Looks pretty complete to me. And it definately looks clean and in good shape from the pics. I'd say worth the money... I very recently bought a motor that wasn't half as clean for $300....

Guest bastaad525

Still worth $300, I say. The motor I bought for that much was the same deal, no electronics, no manifolds, and it wasn't as clean as the one in that auction. I certainly didn't feel like I had been ripped off either. For what it's worth, that motor also tested pretty low on compression, I believe it was about 90psi all across the board as well. I didn't end up using that motor... thought my motor was screwed but it turns out it wasn't, but anyways, the guy I sold the motor to later isntalled and is running it now. He told me that after it ran and was fully warmed up compression came up quite a bit. The guys on here did tell me that a motor that has sat for a while (this one had sat for something like two years) might test low on compression like that until it's been run. The main thing to worry about is if compression is even, I think. That motor I bought and sold only ended up needing some new gaskets and seals.

For $300 it's a good deal. I know it doesn't come with all that other stuff, but put it this way, when I bought my donor ZXT that had all that stuff I needed, I payed about $1500 :) sure you can find them for less, but I wouldn't count on finding one for that low. Pick up the motor for three, and worry about the ECU and stuff later. I know a guy who can still get you most of the electronics (he has a garage full of the stuff) and probably the manifold and turbo as well for pretty cheap.

Guest bastaad525

Besides, it looks like he is offering the other stuff you need as well... you could probably work out a good deal for all of it.

I'm seriously considering bidding on this engine myself..... only thing holding me back is I dont really have a place to put it.

he is offering the other stuff but in seperate ebay listings. meaning you'd have to bid for EACH.

the misc stuff he's talking about is just the timing cover and oil pan and oil pump. nothing more.

it's a nice engine but for 300 bucks and with 90+ psi compression test ? I'd be better off getting a junkyard engine with everything for 300 bucks and rebuilding it as I'd probably be rebuilding this one too. Once again it's all a gamble plus it's out of my state so again big gamble.

Here is my take on it. The cylinder head looks in good condition but without a real examination can't make a statement to that. Ask for pics of the intake and exhaust ports. If he is willing to get them to you he would be an excellent ebayer. Looking in the pics the spark plug holes don''t look anywhere near new. They appear to have some engine gunk on the outside of the holes. I'm sure the engine has been gone through at some point but a good look at the valves, combustion chamber and exhaust ports will get you undisputable evidence.

I had an old grubby head cleaned by my local machinest that was fully assembled, the thing looked like brand new when I got it back. Every part on it was shiney and cleaned, even the back of the valves. The only way you could tell it was used was the wip pattern on the cam and the cam followers, and the valve seats and contact area on the vavles.

Mike :D