HybridZ

Exhaust cutout and turbo performance?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I actually have another thread going with just general exhaust cutout

Q's, but had some more specific questions here. I'm just wondering how dramatic a difference it can make to use one of these on a turbo motor? Most of the guys that use them, on here or anywhere, that I've seen, use them on V8's, so no real idea so far how much this might help.

I'm running a very restrictive exhaust right now, and plans for a full 3" mandrel system are definately in the future (the far, far off future), but I figure I can get one of these cutouts and have it installed for probably around $50-70. I want to install it right after the downpipe. Would this really help with turbo spool and responsiveness to open the exhaust like that? Enough to justify the cost? I kind of like the idea of the extra noise (I miss that sound of the turbo spooling from when I was just running an open DP...) only when I'm really getting on it. Of course, if this worked well enough that might scrub completely the plans for a new exhaust, saving me some money.

Here's what I"m looking at if anyone is wondering:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BIG%2D53030&view=257#largerimage

I'm also looking at running one of these so I can open and close it quickly and easily from the cabin:

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

which would cost me total with installation and everything no more than about $175. Is it worth it?

If it were me, and it was a while back in the position you're in, i'd spend the $104 +shipping like i mentioned in this post to you back in december...

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=217385&highlight=#217385

I hear my T3 spool easily with this setup but if it's still not loud enough for you after this, then i'd think about going with cutouts for the strip, if that's what you're considering them for. If you run them open on the street, sooner or later the cops will ticket you for the decible level. I seriously dont think it'll make any difference performance-wise by dumping the exhaust right after the DP versus running a full 3" system with a wide open muffler, unless you were running a HUGE turbo and a bunch of boost. I do think it'll make a difference in your health from sucking in all the fumes from dumping right next to your window :D Just my opinion 525.

Guest bastaad525

yeah as I said a full 3" is definately in the plans ONE day. I knew the price of the pre bent and stuff wouldn't be too bad but getting it all installed is gonna be pricey I think... total would be way more than what I'm thinking of doing with the cutout I think. You know me always looking to cut even little corners... if I can get some extra performance for less I can accept the tradeoff. Jersey how much did you spend for labor to install this or did you do it yourself? I dont think the volume level would be too bad with the cutout... when I ran just the open DP it wasn't bad except at WOT, and with a remote controlled cutout even then... it's only gonna be bad when I want it to be. Fumes and such weren't really a problem with just an open DP, and it wouldn't be open very much anyways. I do like the very quiet, mellow sound of my exhaust the way it is now, as well... I wonder and worry that a full 3" with straight thru is gonna be too loud for my tastes the way it was with my N/A motor. I like the 'stealth' factor of the crappy exhaust with cutout. Well it's just another thing I'm considering... that is to say, another thing that I"m daydreaming about... as of right now I got other things that NEED to be fixed before I can start getting the stuff I WANT.

Guest ON3GO

remember the best exhaust on a turbo motor is the shortest...

if a electric cutout is out of price range then just get a reg on you see the V8 guys do. the turbo will spool up faster and will be louder and you will feel abit more power.

i plan to run a electric one on my green Z...

mike

you might considder just removing the muffler for now all together, the only muffler on my car is the little snail shaped thingy hanging off the side of my motor, it's not too loud unles I get on it, a dwonturned pipe at the end would likely make it a bit less obvious

Guest bastaad525
My friend and I tested cut off on a boosted B16A Civic and acutally lost little HP with cut off open. Sounded cool thou

that makes no sense... if a l28et makes as much as 20-25 more hp by simply going with a more open exhaust, I find it very hard to believe that an exhaust cutout... basically an open exhaust, would cause a LOSS of hp?? Spool and responsiveness should be faster at least so give a broader curve.