HybridZ

READY FOR THE DRAG STRIP TONIGHT...TECH INFO

ZFAN, I got the engine put back together with the XR282 vice the XR270. It is a most definate noticeable power increase. Much stronger pull after the launch and seems to keep pulling. According to the GTech with the 270 cam I averaged 4.7 secs 0-60s (which was way off---it was faster Im sure). Anyway I tuned this cam tonight and went 4.7 as well....thats great news for my quest of 11s.... I now shift at 6000RPMs vice 5320. Also I tried the 74/84s on the proform and she didnt like it on launch. I jetted down the back to 80s 74/80s and she really came alive. Im running a 4.5 Power Valve as well. Ill run it that way the first run and then either go 72/82 or 72/80 to make sure I am dialed in properly. It feels like 11s are in the picture...I predict 12 flat or 11.9s...cant wait.....let us know how your quest for 10s turns out.....

Terry

Do you have the original GTech or the new GTech Pro Comp? How far off was your times compared to track? I just got a GTech Pro Comp and I find it hard to believe that I am only running a 13.4@ 107. Seems kinda slow?

Your probablyy at the track right now but be sure to post when you get the good news! :D

Guy

Guest zfan

Hey Terry,

Well didn't get rims for the drag radials so ran street tires, what a mistake!!! Ran 11.78 at 121 and 12.58 at 119. Track was busy and a turbo stang lost it on the big end at 9.34 at 134. Track was shut down.

Hope he is ok.

Gave up and drove her home. Maybe next time :lol:

Mike

Hope you had better luck!

Mike I m glad your ok. yeah we all get a little frustrated with trying to go faster. Speaking of that it was a let down for me too. Well heres the deal...I got a lesson on HP vs Torque. My best time was 12.49 with the 270HR at 110.7. I ran a best of 12.47 at 112 tonight. My 60 foot times dropped from 1.85 to 1.95. I lost to a built Mustang 12.43 at 109 MPH to my 12.47 at 112. It was hard to lose that one because I was running him down. His launch was just too much for me to catch him..maybe two feet at the finish. Anyway it was fun. I may have been jetted too big on the primaries. 74/80. Ill try 72/80 next time. Its time to slip in the 400 crank and probes.....

Heres the deal on the GTech....I ran a 12.47 at 112 and the GTech said 13.4 at 107!!!! Theres definately some discrepancy there. I would just use the GTEch for tuning purposes etc....

Lastly, I wonder if I go to the Single Plane....will I knock off a couple of tenths? I am going to order a 3500 stall as well. I know that I need to get the engine sped up quicker to take advantage of the bigger cam. Still all in all I am happy with the 12.4/5s at 111/112 for now. I want to document all the changes that are happening to pave the road for others as Mike has done for me and still doing. I keep getting girls wanting to ride the quarter with me...lol. I gave another a ride today and knocked of 2.5 tenths...she was skinnier!! Ill tell you one thing, this Z is a major attention getter and all the kids love it.....

We had a cool night and no rain...perfect for racing. Hey I have a small clip of one of my races. Can anyone host it?

Terry

Terry,

I'm working a LT1 into my 78 and figure my biggest problem is going to be not spinning the tires. Are you in the 12's with stock tires?

Am I going to be able to get into the 13's with stock tires you think?

And reguarding stock tires, I mean tire that I will be able to fit with no body mods.

Thanks...

V8 280, I dont have coil overs, just heavy duty springs and Illuminas. I run an 8 inch Weld DragLite in the rear with a 3/8th spacer. My tires are Nittos 275 50 15s. They hook great, no tire spin even with the torqy 270 cam before. Nittos are great tires and last alot longer than Drag Radials. You could get by with 235 or 245s without out a spacer I suspect or maybe a 1/4 inch spacer, I have a 4 inch back space so that depends on if you need a spacer or not too. You should also put the longer studs in the rear to accomodate the spacers. You dont have to take out the stub axle to put them in, just drill a hole in the dust plate big enough to pass the stud thru and use a lug to pull it thru, unless ofcoarse you have already done the disk upgrade to the rear, it makes it easier...

A lesson learned from ZFAN, invest in some tires before going to the track. His car should run high tens as is but was limited last night because of street tires...i.e. other than Nittos, Drag radials, Micky T ETs etc... You are gonna have a blast! Just wait till all the people swarm your car at the track. Im becoming pretty popular out there! Now if I can just stay married... :D:lol:

Terry,

I have 15" rims, I have read many times 235 are about max in tire width.

How did you get 275 on your ride???

I will put as much spacer in as I need to get the max in width.,

If you did not do any mods can you explain how you got such a wide tire into the wheel well with out rubbing?

Any chance you have any pics??

I sure need to know...

Thanks again

I thought those cams would be pretty close. You'd definitely benefit from a single plane with that 282 since that dual plane won't meet your needs on the high end. You mentioned a victor junior which is a good choice, I went with a power-plus single plane which is a copy of the super victor but comes polished and cheaper. Grumpy convinced me, I'll never go back to a single plane in a Z. BTW, I'm really thinking about those nitto 275/50/15's for myself, I'd be running them all the time so was wondering how well they perform on the street. Good luck with the fine tuning Terry. :D

Hey guys, yeah Im gonna go with the Single Plane and 3500 stall before I slip in the 400 crank. The 275 Nittos calls for a minimum of an 8 inch rim. I have 4 or 5 inch back space and a 3/8th spacer. No probs with fit but is about 3/8s inch away from strut tube. It has never hit though. Be careful how your exhaust runs thru to the rear and dont get the pipes too close to the tires or you will hit them when making turns on uneven roads. I may have some pics on my site, I cant remember. Nittos are good on the street and last pretty long as long as you dont burn on em too much. I love em. But again mine are 275s so there is much traction, especially at the track. 11s are coming but I just want to track all the add ons with the 350 before I jump to the 383. I already have the roller retrofit rockers, lifters and cam. What happens when you retard the cam on the crank gear? More power? I think the 3500 stall should help in addition to the Single Plane. Ill have the Single Plane for sure by next months run. Then the 3500 stall. Afetr that in with the 400 crank and forged pistons..... :-D

Terry

Guest zfan

Terry,

No need to go and retard your cam as it will move your power band up even more but not really give gains in power. Will take away some low end if anything.

Single plain Victor Jr. is a good choice for your build, especially in a 383. You will love that cam if your running it in a 383. You ain't seen torque yet :shock:

I degreed my cam in and Comp builds in 4 degrees advance on the cam but to lower my DCR I retarded my cam 4 dgrees to "0". Thus DCR is now 8.23..I know it is kind of high. :wink:

Going to pick up some rims for the drag radials and go for 10's in a couple of weeks!

Mike

Guest Phil1934

Has anyone tried a launch retard box? I've got the MSD retard box and a digi-set timer and plan on dropping several degrees of advance until the car is in second gear. Work is slowing my getting the car running but computer simulation says it will cut e.t. It seems the best bet as we are limited on tire size and suspension tuning.

Guest zfan

Terry,

That victor jr. will really wake your car up after 3k and pull with that cam to 6k plus easy. What converter are you running now? Do you stall it up at the line when you race?

I liked my dual plane Weiand stealth intake on my 383 but when I switched to the Victor jr. I felt the car really pull on the big end. Funny thing is my 1/8 th mile times I thought would suffer but not at all.

I ran 7.20's with the Victor Jr. vs. 7.40's with the Weiand Stealth.

Mike