HybridZ

280ZX starter question

Guest BillV

Guest BillV

I just got an 86 TA for the driveline. It is a 305 5 speed. Will the stock starter work in my ZX, or will I have to get a gear reduction starter? I'm hoping the radiator will work, if not I'm going to try the stocker. What about exhaust manifolds?

Thanks

What do you mean "will the stock starter work?" If you mean will it fit, yes it will fit.

Will your radiator work, yes if you run a stock 305. I would really suggest an aftermarket alluminum radiator like a Griffin. My car has never even come close to overheating with the 26"x19" Griffin, CSI electric water pump and the 1 speed Taurus electric fan. Most guys use the 2 speed Taurus fan though.

Exhaust manifolds........either you can make a drivers side header and use a standard block hugger on the passenger side or you can use a mid 70's Camaro sytle manifold on the driver side and a ram horn manifold on the passenger side.

Guy

Guest BillV

The clearance issue is what I was concerned about. I had an S10 with a V8, and had to use a small (expensive) starter from a late model pickup.

Do the headers clear everything? I have the power rack steering. I am trying to just get it running for now, later I'll probably rebuild a 350, but if the headers fit, I might go ahead and go that route instead. Anybody have a recommendation for a cam for a stock 305 w/ 9.5:1 cr? I still want a decent idle, but a little lope is OK. I'm used to 350's, so I don't know how a 305 will react.

billv:

As I said, no problem with the hedders I'm using. I've had starter Heatsink/overheating problems on other cars with hedders that route too close to the starter, but I solved at least one of those problems with an insulated starter blanket. I have the power R&P also, and the drivers's side hedder had to be disassembled and refabricated to route between the 2 rear cylinders to clear the steering rod. Works fine though. I have a SBC hydraulic roller cam-set for sale if you are interested. I've only had one 305 in an El Camino and it ran O.K., but didn't have a lot of torque. Good luck..

Guest BillV

Do you have any pics of your headers or mounts? What trans are you using? How did you do your trans mount, I think I'll use square tubing welded to plates that bolt in the tunnel.

billv:

I can get you a photo of the driver's side hedder. It is on my home account. What is your E-mail address? I posted a grocery list of piece/parts I used 17 May 2001. The title is ZX SBC using MSA mounts and it should answer a few questions that might come up. I'm have a 700R4 and am using the Motorsports Auto engine and transmission mounts.

Dan

Guest jc280zxt

Billv,

I have an 81zx turbo model that I am working on putting a 305 tpi/700R4 from an 85 Z28. The V8 radiator is way too long to fit in the car. The only Camaro radiator that will fit is from 1985 - 1986 2.5l four cylinder. The electric fan set-up form your V8 is pretty good if you have it and will be ran by the stock computer if you are using all of that. My engine is basically stock to allow the stock Z28 computer to work. (It will allow only slight modifications without causing problems) I have an excelent zx turbo radiator that I am going to try. It should cool the 305 because it is not very radical. Stock Z28 electric fan fits like it was made for it and flows pretty good air. If this does not work, I will switch to the griffin/Tauras set-up. I have the turbo car so it has vents in the hood to help remove the underhood heat. I too have to power R & P but have not gotten to putting the motor in the car yet to see what I have to do for manifolds or motor mounts. I will probably use the stock V8 mounts and make spacers to for the motor mounts. As far as the trans, I will probably make my own mount. I hope that this helps!

Guest BillV

That's what I thought on the radiator, I'll try the stocker first w/ the dual fans from the TA, and go the route youre going to if that doesnt work. I'm not going to use the competer, since it isn't TPI. I will do the same with the mounts. I'm hoping to get this running in 3-4 weeks(right), providing everything goes smooth

I would suggest a starter heat sheild. I am now having a problem with my car with starter heat sinking. I am going to install some kind of barrier to stop the heat from the exhaust going straight into the starter. My passenger side exhaust is directly under the starter. There is about 2"-3" of clearance but apparently it isnt enough! That and I need a bigger battery! :lol:

Guy