HybridZ

Headlight Treatments

DatsunATX

Guest Aaron

I have often thought a light similar to the Taurus/Neon/Beetle would look good on a Z if you could integrate them into the existing bucket. In my head, you could keep the look of the bucket, but you could improve the aerodynamics of the front end slightly because the shape of the light could smooth the transition to the fender. Can anyone else see this?

Of course for a simple change, I like these lights.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I just had an excellent idea: I've noticed alot of newer car headlights have just a clear unfluted lens, with the refraction handled by mirrorlike chrome pieces inside the assembly. So my thought is to install the standard clear headlight covers that have been around for years, but to paint or actually chrome the inside portion of the bucket so that it's reflective ( chrome tape could also possibly be cut into patterns to accentuate this). Add some cool "euro" style headlights. The combination of the covers, paint/chrome/tape, and the headlights would give a look that retains the original styling, but with a modern flair. What do you guys think?

Dang it, I forgot how to post pics..anyway, these are the type of "euro" lights I was talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480060372&category=33710&sspagename=WDVW

If you look close, you'll see that the reflector part is the rear of the lens, not the glass itself, which is simply clear. This is how lights on newer cars are done. This particular one also has the little hat for the bulb, which is also like on new cars.

I'm currently working on the 3000gt style with my 280zx hybrid -- I'll post pictures up once I'm finished...it could take a while though, the fiberglass is taking a while :roll:

It's times like this I wish I was as skilled as Terry...oh well, wishful thinking.

Ok figured out the photo thing. These are what I'm talking about. They're not "euro", but that's just my blanket term for such things. If you look at any newer car, this is exactly the kind of light refraction system that's being used:

ra_circleconversionkit.jpg

So, I think it would look bitchin' to do like I described above, because it saves the original styling while updating it. As a bonus, there is no fabrication hassle, and no issues with aiming a light assembly designed for another car.

Guest myth66

kinda off topic but I have those same lights on my tracker

553315_2_full.jpg

My bodywork skills might need some improvment.

I guess I didn't like the square, yellow, weathered look.

(nissan grille BTW :) )

Guest brianglawson

i dont know if anyone has seen this car, but here it is, s30 converted to modern styles....wish i could find bigger better pics of it..

f87e7ba5.jpg

f87e7ba7.jpg

f87e7ba3.jpg

f87e7baa.jpg

f87e7bab.jpg

i really cant tell what its made form...i heard once that its an s30, another its an s14 another that its s15..the rear window/fender line looks s15ish, the genreal shape looks 240zish, the motor looks like an lseries i a way, and the dash IS an s14 dash, but the console kinda looks like a modified s30's

• 2 weeks later...

Ted Fisher stuck some rectangular ones in the grill area on his YZ. Here's a bad pic from the Reaction Research site.

IMG_2680.jpg

I like your idea about pop-ups. There is lots of room in the fender for them. Snag a pair from a Miata or a TR7 or how about a C4 Corvette?

I've seen pics of a Z with pop-ups mounted in the hood. Looked a little funky 'cause they were too close together.

Corvette rollovers in the fenders? Ya that's it.

Guest crazy300zxtt

Your right dan i think the corvette roll overs would look the best. Im gona try and get started on a yz project pritty soon after i sell my 300zxtt and try out that headlight treatment.

Guest iskone
I'm currently working on the 3000gt style with my 280zx hybrid -- I'll post pictures up once I'm finished...it could take a while though' date=' the fiberglass is taking a while :roll:

It's times like this I wish I was as skilled as Terry...oh well, wishful thinking.[/quote']

What style 3000gt lights are you going with?

I've always thought the best way to go with is a custom job would like the MSA prototypes that could fit inside of a stock head light cover.

That way you wouldn't have to change the lines of the front facia but still look modern.

Guest steveo
423258_2_full.jpg

These are what im gonna try' date=' 1998 prelude lights.[/quote']

i'd like to see those in there, post a pic up if you ever do it.

Not sure if i'd like it or not. interesting concept

i've got my self a updated version of the org. headlights...

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewfile.html?fl=1710596&alb=80946

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewfile.html?fl=1727561&alb=81756

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewfile.html?fl=1727598&alb=81756

i bought them from http://www.procarparts.com and they cost about 25 US$

the direct adress to the headlights... http://www.procarparts.com/store-list2.asp?makerID=25&modelID=141&year=1980&cat=4&sub=27