HybridZ

370 LSD Fluid question

wigenOut-S30

Well I got a 3.70 LSD(at an awsome price I might add thanks Pallnet :2thumbs: ) and I need to know what Diff fluid weight you guys are running and what are good brands out there.. I also heard you have to get a LSD additive to add in as well.. So what are you LSD guys using for fluid and LSD additives? Thanks in advance.. :-D .. I am putting it in this friday night and I cannot wait to actually get traction!!!..

I just filled up my new LSD with Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 weight oil (I used about 1.70 quarts or so with the finned cover... as my research showed a standard R200 to use 1.5) and a tube of the posi additive that Kragen had. Don't remember the brand but I'm sure pretty much whatever the local place has is fine.

Good luck with the install, mine has spanned about four days so far as I decided to spare the fins on the cover (couldn't see a way to make the suspension brace fit, even if I removed them!) so I've been working on fabbing up a brace. I also spent quite a bit of time dreaming up and fabbing a limiter to keep my front diff mount from breaking while I was at it. I can't wait for the traction as well, as well as lower revs as I've been running a 3.90..

Yup, I have seen his solution.... Very well-thought out and well-executed! My idea was inspired by the one shown on http://www.kaynor.net/v8-240z/index.html (not the LSD brace... the front mount limiter).. basically I welded several bolts to the front of the diff mount and bolted on a piece of angle iron that goes down and underneath the crossmember with a gap of about 3/8". The rubber mount can isolate vibrations but if it gets torqued too much it will hit the limiter and stop, so it can't stretch enough to break.

I'd recommend redline 75w-90 oil... it allready has the additive in it if I am not mistaken. (read the label, but I am 99% sure it has it) You'll love that diff! (I don't have one, but one of the Z's at the shop does, it's great)

I just want to say, I love my diff!! Haha! Got it all buttoned up this morning and the freakin' thing is awesome. First thing I did was take it into the parking lot next door to my house and do the figure 8's as is recommended, to get the lube into the clutches so they won't burn up. At first I heard some squeakings, clunkings, and various noises coming from 'back there' but after about 5 figure 8s it quieted down. I did around 20 total and then went for a drive.. :twisted: First time I punched it taking a corner from a stop sign I almost lost it because of how fast the rear end snapped around! U-turns sure are fun now! :twisted: Oh, yeah... I got pulled over already :roll: Cop just gave me a fix-it ticket for no front license plate because I admitted to doing wrong :lol: Thanks! Anyway, I'm amazed at how well the car grips now going through sweeping corners. It's just out of this world! I can keep giving it more gas and it just digs in harder and keeps pulling through! Confidence inspiring to say the least. I'm about to upload a few photos of the install, if anyone's interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zline

Well

this is the gear oil i recommend to all customer/friends and everyone else for that matter

NEO synthetic 75W-90HD

specs:

Viscosity Index 165 (ASTM D-2270)

Flash Point 405degF (ASTM D-92)

Pour Point -50degF (ASTM D-97)

Film Strength 3-6x petroleum

GL-2 through GL-5 rated for use in synchromesh transmissions and differential

pretty cheap too

44 dollars a gallon!

Also for motor oil (i know i know OT) I like the NEO 20W/50 but i live in CA so cold weather is nonexistant(below 40*F) they have a 15W/50 that is nice for cold weather

• 1 month later...