HybridZ

Firm in Reverse - Mushy in Forward

Ok - I'm confused. :?: I have essentially stock brakes on my 280Z. Disks in front and drums in the rear. To keep the rear drums properly adjusted one of the ways is to brake when the car is moving backward. I did that at a decent speed today and got a surprise. :!: When I hit the brakes going in reverse they were firm and braked well. I stopped, shifted to 1st, drove forward, and braked again. This time the brake pedal was soft and required more travel to brake. :idea::?::?:

Any ideas??

I'm having a similar problem. I have replaced the MC, the calipers, and the wheel cylinders. I bench bleed the MC, and bleed the snot out of the brakes. Even blew out the lines as Tim suggested and the pedal is really soft still. I am suspicous of the factory valve and have ordered the prop valve kit with front bypass from Ross. If that does not fix it then I will assume that the new MC is at fault. The only other thing left would be the booster.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Dale

Phantom, don't trust the self adjusters in the rear brakes, adjust it manually and get it close. My self adjusters weren't working at all, and they really don't work that well unless they are brand-spankin-new. Try adjusting them manually first and go from there.

It's amazing. :idea::idea: I open up the Factory Service Manual and it actually tells me that I can adjust my rear drum brakes by cycling the hand brake several times. I pumped it up and down about 8-10 times and I'll be darned - they worked better. Drove it a ways, did it again and the seem to be fine now. :bonk: