HybridZ

smog

Guest BlueDatsun350Z

for some reason, people seem to think, that all pre 76 cars in california are exempt from having functional smog equipment on their cars intended to be driven on california roadways.

this is not true. all vehicles used on california roadways that operate on gasoline, built after 1955 are required to have smog control equipment. be it as simple as positive crankcase ventilation or cats and smog pumps.

if a vehicle is stopped by the CHP or local police, and it is suspected the vehicle is modified, they may at that time, take a look for obvious violations of the smog laws in that county.

drunk driving road blocks, did you know that the state of california kicks in money to the counties that put them up, that's what makes em so popular. did you also know that if the cops, also set up a roadside smog inspection station, right along side the drunk inspection, that they got more money ???

well, as the state doesn't have as much money in the coffers as they did, when that bill was passed, the state has withdrawn that offer FOR NOW.

so, you most likely, will not see road side smog checks, until CARB convinces the state officials that they can make it a money maker.

so, no ... your pre 1976 z is NOT exempt from having smog equipment.

it is AT THIS TIME, only exempt from a smog inspection at time of registration, whether renewal to the same owner, or at the time of transfer of title.

the CARB has bought a legistrator, who has introduced a bill to repeal that exemption, and require a smog inspection on all post 1955 cars, same as it was before the exemption. yes, a return to the smog testing at time of registration.

you don't like that ? i sure don't !!! i wrote to my reps !!! if you haven't ,you better.

let em know that you vote and you care about your hobby !!!

wayne

that should say pre 74 z. i was thinking of the new bill, that has passed and is held in the budget commitee to see if the state has the money to implement it. it says that all pre 76 cars need to be smog tested.

right now,in california, pre 74 z's are exempt from smog testing at time of registration.

exempt from testing, not from having smog eq. smog equipment is still required.

wayne.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

let em know that you vote and you care about your hobby !!!

The hobbiest aren't really the problem. The problem is the people that drive around cars that are barely running and barely taken care of. You have seen them. The mid-70s Cadillac running on 7 cylinders smoking and backfiring but the guy drives it because it's a Caddy...

I'd gladly have to smog my "exempt" vehicles if it meant that we could get junk cars taken off of the road. If you are a true hobbiest then you probably take good enough care of your car that it could pass a basic smog inspection (believe it or not), especially if you have the engine tuned right. :wink:

I agree with you, Nic. But unfortunately doesn't matter how well you tune, if you don't have the EGR, cats, air pump, heat riser tubes etc etc you will fail the visual. That is all a cop harrassing you on the side of the road will look for. And if you get too agressive with the cam, then no amount of tuning in the world will make you pass the tail pipe.

Several years back I took my 1970 in for smog with a siezed air pump. The air pumps on those old ones are hard to come by, hence expensive. I figured no problem, it will be more than $50 to fix so I will get an exemption. Wrong. Turns out the belt driving the air pump is a required piece of smog equipment. I called the California DMV and told them I my problem. They told me the belt had to be in place for the test. They didn't care how much noise it was making or if it threw the belt a half mile down the road, as long as the belt was in place during the test.

I just bit the bullet and bought a new pump.

BTW, fart sniffers measure the percentage of of emissions per liter of air. I have always though if I plumb enough air pumps into the exhaust, that I could get those percentages down to nothing.

As a chemical engineer working in a nuclear power plant once told me, the solution to pollution is dillution.

Trouble is, what is the intent of the law? IMO we (the People) especially in the great state of Cal, 8) have allowed the environemental lobby to become rediculously out of control or, way too extreme! :? I'm all for preserving the environment, heck I'm a sufer-dude. But when the components you've got under the hood become the focal point, something is seriously wrong! I took my 75' in for smog-cert (at the referee) a few years ago, even though I passed the tailpipe part of the test, I was not issued tags because I failed the visual! :shock: Whats-up-with-that? If the whole intent of the law is to reduce vechicle emissions, what do they care how thats achieved? :evil: But than again what do you expect from Government? Sorry for the rant, thanks for letting me vent.