HybridZ

Mystery Solved!! Final say on the loose crank issue

Guest bastaad525

Trust me you have no one to envy because none of us just drop the engine in and away we go!!!1 :cry: . In the past year I've replaced or changed more combinations than I want to think about, from new parts that don't work out of the box to wrong set-ups to the new parts passing a problem down the line to a old part causing it to fail. If I posted after every situation I'd have a 6,000 post count :-D . Hang in there and keep us informed because we can all learn from other people. Your posts read like a novel :2thumbs: My only suggestion is not to title a new post as the FINAL SAY!!!!!!!!

LARRY

Guest bastaad525
My only suggestion is not to title a new post as the FINAL SAY!!!!!!!!

LARRY

seriously.... :D

well I did some calling around and found out that actually I can get all the parts I need locally, including the turbo drain hose which I thought was gonna be hard to find, either some rare nissan only part or maybe MSA, but turns out every nissan dealership has them, as they are the same part as used for the turbo drain in 300zx's as well. Everything on schedule for friday... so far... :D

thicker oil just causes it to be harder to pump, and take longer to reach lubricating surfaces at startup, causing more wear.

The only time thick oil is a factor is at increased temperatures when viscosity breakdown rears it's ugly head.

Synthetics shine during these circumstances.

Personally I don't run synthetic in anything but gearboxes or racing engines. They will save you when the oil temperature goes above 350 (Corvair dropping a belt at Willow Springs...)

The anti-coking properties in the turbo are well documented, but with proper shutdown, and regular oil changes, there really is no reason for synthetics in the engine of a street driven vehicle.

But putting a thick oil that is hard to pump in an engine that has excessive clearances makes it look like it has higher pressures (due to viscosity) but in reality the pump-up time required during startup does more damage than the higher pressure does while running.

Most manufacturers use the 5W crap to get oil to the top end quickly during startup...

Guest bastaad525

LOL more confusing info... oil seems to be one of the most disagreed on topics I swear....

Well, even if the only benefit is better resistance to heat (which suits me fine as I'm running no I/C and no oil cooler) that alone seems it would make the synthetic worth it, to make it more resistant to coking on the turbo bearing.

But what about the other benefits that so many people firmly believe?

That synthetic lubricates better than regular oil, and increases engine life?

That synthetic oil doesn't break down as quickly as regular oil, hence lengthening time between required/advised oil changes?

That synthetic oil leaves more of a 'film' over engine parts after shutoff, so that startup wear from lack of lubrication until sufficient pressure is reached is lessened?

I dont expect any answers from any two people to be the same on this, and really it could be it's own thread (and has been many times I"m sure!) but really... every time someone else pitches in on the subject of oil I come away very confused... and wondering if my spending 2-3x more over regular oil is just throwing away money?

And then the whole thicker vs. thinner oil debate as well.. yeesh!

I can only say this... the one best example, that has kept me using synthetic even before I went turbocharged, is my friend who owns an '81 toyota pickup truck, and drives a LOT of miles (frequently to san diego and such)... he bought that truck brand new off from the dealer, and has since put 600,000+ miles onto the original engine. Not sure if he's been running synthetic all of the vehicles life but definately for a very long time and a lot of miles, he changes the synthetic out every 5000-6000 miles, and the motor still runs like a champ, and has good, even strong compression on all four cylinders, and has no issues with burning oil or whatever. That was a good enough example for me....

Guest bastaad525

$27 dollars for a damn 3" length of hose.....

turbo oil drain to oil pan hose.... rediculous....

this hose better install itself for that much :-P