HybridZ

Looking at the 240sx LSD's need some information

EZ-E

From what I understand, the 240SX LSD, as far as the internals that is will fit right into our long nose R200 case.

With that being the case, has anyone attempted using one? From the information that I have gathered, depending on year, they came with a clutch type and viscous type LSD.

Now if anyone has done one of these swaps, as I know that the 240SX crowd does with the Z31 rear swap, shouldnt you be able to used the 280ZX turbo CV's?

This is really the only thing that I am not sure of, can any of you help?

I have a KAAZ LSD in my long nose R200.

It's made for the 240SX R200 but it bolted right in.

If you use the VLSD from the 240SX you will need to use the output shafts from that diff. (VLSD).

I don't know if the 280ZX Turbo CV's will bolt to those shafts or not.

If you find out please share that information.

Good luck, Chris

I would like some more information as well.

What year 240SX was this for? What is the gear ratio and so on, more information would be greatly appreciated.

Also what year car do you have?

nice to hear somebody has done it. ive been collecting parts for my conversion for about a year now. so far I have the R200 case, VSLD from an S14 Silvia, the input shafts for the VSLD, new seals, and a set of S14 halfshafts. I just need to get it all together and figure out how to adapt the S14 halfshafts to the 280Z stubs.

-S

Okay I'll try and answer everyones questions, but there is a lot of information so I'm going to try and get my thoughts out.

First of all the R200 (200mm ring gear) has two basic versions: Long nose and Short nose.

Long nose:

The ring gear in the long nose R200 came in 10mm and 12mm.

This is simply the size of the bolt use to hold the ring gear to the carrier.

10mm R200's came in 280Z, 280ZX, 300ZX (Z31) till around 1987.

12mm R200's came in 200SX, 300ZX (Z31) from 1987 -Z31 Turbo came with LSD, '88 SS Turbo came with VLSD.

Short nose:

These are the ones that came in 240SX, N/A 300ZX and others.

They came in open an VLSD versions.

Output shafts are not interchangeable between VLSD's and others.

Also there are be other cars that came with these diffs. that I have not mentioned.

The carrier is interchangable between the Long nose and the short nose.

This means any aftermarket LSD made for the 240SX will fit into the Long nose case. Both open and VLSD pieces are available so care must be taken when picking parts. For most applications here you will not want the VLSD unless you can work with it's output shafts.

I used KAAZ part number SAN2655 (2 way).

This is listed in the KAAZ catalog for '89-'98 240SX and some others.

I run a 3.7 gear.

It does make noise mostly turning under light power at slow speeds but it works as it should. Hit the gas and it locks.

If you're wanting to put a VLSD into a Long nose R200; it should go.

You just have to work with it's output shafts.

Sparky I think you will find the S14 halfshafts to long for a Z.

If anyone has any corrections to this information please share.

Chris

Guest zline

Corrections

YOU CAN USE OPEN DIFF OUTPUT FLANGES

you just need to shave the righthand one down to the lefthand ones length (no problem!)

The new KAAZ model has 16 plates

i sell them

it is compatible with open diff flanges _NOT_ VLSD

the old model had 14 plates and required you to either cut your open diff flanges or source some VLSD flanges.

you could always get a turbo 200sx R200 case and drop the KAAZ in there and use the turbo 200sx R&P gear...its 4.11.

All S13 and S14 rear diffs interchange all you need to do is if you put S14 diff in S13 case is use the S14 diff cover

It is also possible to use a Z32 n/a aluminum finned diff cover on your S13 case if you want to do that..

It would be best to use 200SX shafts..

• 6 months later...
If you're wanting to put a VLSD into a Long nose R200; it should go.

You just have to work with it's output shafts.

Sparky I think you will find the S14 halfshafts to long for a Z.

Chris

So as long as I have a set of 240sx VLSD output shafts, using a 240sx VLSD in my 280z R200 long nose carrier will work, right?

Another question. If I want to convert to CV's at the same time, how would I do this?

Thanks for the help.