HybridZ

saab 9000 IC intercooler quantitative analysis

SO everyone says not to use a saab 9000 IC, the big one, the one that fits right up to the vent holes in the radiator support. Well, in the interest of science I decided to make some measurements and see what this thing does, because as it turns out it is really cheap and really easy to install(at least I thought so). SO buy one for $20, aluminized mandrel pipe for $70, $80 in couplers, and about 3 hours to install because only 3 welds were needed.

The testing was as follows with intake air temp sensors in intake pipe right before the throttle body in all test cases. DSM BOV install before TB in all test cases. All measurements on the same day, same gear runs, same highway. All measurements in degrees F. Took measurements in 3rd and 4th gear. Good long runs at max boost. My air intake is behind the radiator so it sucks hot air when the car is at normal operating temp, which all tests were made at. Multiple boost runs made to get max temp numbers. This is stock T3 turbo.

1st measurement:

No intercooler, just j-pipe

Ambient air = 55

Boost = 10psi (in manifold)

air temp under no boost (cruising) = 100-110

air temp under boost = 170-190

2nd measurement:

saab 9000 IC installed

Ambient air = 62 (got a little warmer before I could get back out)

Boost = 10psi (in manifold)

air temp under no boost (cruising) = 70-78

air temp under boost = 80-90

Dropped the air temp by 100 degrees at 10psi boost in my case with ambient air being 7 degrees warmer. Seems ok. Seat of the pants says it runs better, no doubt.

Pressure drop across the saab 9000 IC = 1.8psi

All of these numbers were measured using megasquirt and a laptop to log all data. Very repeatable. For about $170 total cost and 3 hour install I am happy with this cheap crappy intercooler. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but if you bored like me and have one laying around....

When I upgrade to a hybrid turbo I will upgrade to a good intercooler. But cheap is the name of the game right now and it doesn't get much cheaper than that for an intercooler unless you already have the pipe and couplers.

Tomorrow I will be trying 12 and 14 psi. With the wideband I will be watching to see if my fuel pump runs short at either level. You know those turbos guys, always gotta crank it up until something breaks. :D

You know those turbos guys, always gotta crank it up until something breaks.

I'll boost to that!!! :rockon:

Good info MOby, very interesting. I would like to see this type thing done for more i/c's, esp. the NPR medium one like alot of us use.

-Austin

Guest bastaad525

PICS PLEASE!!

so the inlet and outlets line up perfectly with the radiator support holes? What dizzy are you running? I'd like to see how you routed the pipes....

great information. And great timing too. I have one ready to be installed in my turbo project but everyone says it is not a very good intercooler. Well maybe it is not the greatest but it sure is better than nothing judging from your numbers.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i have had 1 of these laying around for a couple of years.when i was out at pick&pull i got it because it fit the best .its got to flow more than a starion ic and much easier to install.i heard the weak points are the plastic tanks blowing off.but this unit seems like the best cheap way out.better-isuzu npr.hard to find and not cheap.best-aftermarkit custom unit =$.congrats to those doing the testing.

From the numbers I had in the notebook and using the equations in Maximum Boost it shows a gain of about 15% at 10psi, which most people are running right at 200hp at 10psi non-intercooler, so a gain right around 30hp for this mod. Like you say, it may not hold at higher boost levels and it is more restrictive than most. But sometimes the cost, convenience, and goal makes a cheaper solution into a good solution.

Nice study, thanks. This type of issue is about bang-for-the-buck modifications. Yes there are concerns ultimately with airflow through the intercooler, etc., etc. But given the hp/price ratio vs no intercooler at all, and combined with a 1st gen eclipse BOV, we're talking a night-and-day benefit in performance at the grassroots level. When you're rich, but a Spearco and do it right. In the meantime, go for the hp/$ route. DAW