HybridZ

Timing....

seth

Sorry if this has been covered, I was unable to find what I needed in from a search.

Now I have a problem with my L28et not running (please check out the troubleshooting post) And we are thinking timing, so my question is what is the easiest way to check cam timing. Do I have to pull off the lower cover to get at the crank gear or is there an easier way... and if not anyone's pitfall's that they have to share would be super helpful

thanks

Guest Zachb55

when putting it together did you match the 2 lighter links up with the dots on the cam sprocket and crank gear? there should be (help me out here guys) i think 20 links between them and they should be on the right side of the engine with you facing it. if you are unsure of this then removing the front cover is the likely cure. you could do a rough estimate by turning the engine over and seeing when the valves open relative to the #1 cylinder's location. good luck.

-Zach

Actually it's 42 links, this confused me at first as well. I had a problem getting my motor to start also and I to suspected it was timing. I know you don't want to have to take the front cover off but if you are unsure of the chain or the dizzy shaft install you need to take it off and verify them. You will waste more time guessing then it will to check it out. Befor taking it out you could do this test. Set you engine to TDC #1 verify that your dizzy is pointing to #1 on the cap (aabout 9: o-clock ). Now remove the dizzy from the motor, remove the #1 plug and ground the treads, turn the key on and move the dizzy shaft back and forth over the #1 position.

does it spark #1? If not the timing is way off, where on the dizzy it will spark #1, if no spark then you have a problem with you coil or associated wiring. If the timing is off then either the dizzy shaft is in the wrong groove on the crank shaft drive gear or your crank and cam are not timed due to your chain links. You need to have 42 links between the cam and crank markers. Both of which should be on the right side of the crank and cam. Count the # of pins not the links themselfs this is what scewed me up. Also make sure the cam sprocket is on the cam in the right possition.When you are at TDC the v shaped mark on the sproket needs to line up with the - mark on the locating plate that retains the cam and your timing mark on the crank should be at 0. Set it to TDC befor removeing the cover. Hope this helps letme know how you make out. Paul

I just thought of something you could try. Remove the #1 plug put a long srewdriver in and turn the crank with a wrench till the scewdriver is push up all the way befor it starts to fall again, make sure the SD does not get wedged, or against the cylinder walls. Now you are at TDC does your timing mark on the crank line up, is your dizzy pointed to #1 take the valve cover off, is the v mark on the sproket lined up with the - mark. If not you may not be on the compression stroke and you will need to rotate it using the same process till it does, 3x max if it all won't line up then you need to do as I stated in my last post. Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an easy way without takn' the whole front of the car apart.

Unscrew spark plug number one take the plug out... rotate the crank to TDC via timing mark on crankshaft pulley or the screwdriver test. Take the valve cover off and look at the cam

there are intake and exhaust lobes. the cam should be pointing like a V intake and exhaust pointing into the air when you look at it from the radiator point of view. if that is ok check your dizzy it should be about plug number one maybe a lil after or a little before. Also when the cam is looking like a V the V should be centered from the head block. What i mean by this is the block sits at an angle... if you have the cam lobes pointing up equally your timing is wrong... needs to be equal angles to the head.

does that make sense? kinda hard to explain without a pic.

-Ed

Alright, I have read this over and over, and i just don't get it... I have to valve cover off and the engine at TDC, of the compression/power stroke. Now the dizzy is at the plug 1 wire (actually just before) and both valves are closed. Now if i look through the hole in the cam gear that has 1 cast to it i see a - with a key way just below I have a pic here normal_Pictures%20022.1.jpg

Here is the full sized one http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/16934/Pictures%20022.1.jpg

You can see the dash and the key way is just to the right (in the pic the engine is just off TDC) but when it is @ TDC the right side of the - is the start of the keyway (so it is kinda -u)

The 2nd pic is of the cam position at tdc... normal_Pictures%20018.1.jpg

To see the full sized ones i uploaded them to a gallery, Let me know if you guys see anything odd...

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=153