HybridZ

3.70 LSD V8, Spice Ujoints or CV's

DaleMX

I have a 3.70 R200 LSD and want to install it along with a LS1/T56 conversion package into a 78 280Z. I was searching around and found this thread.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27515

In it I see that Phantom is running a 3.70 LSD with the stock axle's with a Spice U-joint upgrade.

I have 3 questions.

Where can I get the spice U-joints, and what is the feeling for reliability using them.

Or should I just go for the 300ZXT halfshaft.

Thanks,

Dale

Well I think the general concesus is that the CV's are good for cars that are lowered because the CV axles have a greater range of motion than the u-joints do. MOST guys think the CV's are stronger. Some guys still think the U-Joints are just as strong or stronger.

I would go with the CV's(I swapped out my R180 & U-joints for an R200 & CV's) :D The CV's will cost you more though but I think its worth it because I think the CV's are stronger, IMHO. :D

Guy

I have nearly 8,000 miles onmy conversion now - Spicer "Brute Force" U-joints in the rear with the 3.70 LSD. Car has been to Ennis once with the new U-joints and once with the old. The old ones had over 200,000 miles on them and held up OK for a few runs. They were showing signs of impending failure whent hey were replaced. The new ones appear to be doing fine but I don't drag race the car weekly. One trip to the drag race track to get the 12.9 and one trip so far to Texas Motor Speedway for twisty track work.

I know guys that are running the R180 behind their V8 because they don't intend to pound it weekly at the drag strip. Just depends on what you are planning to do with the car.