HybridZ

T-5 Dust shield question

Finally have my 68 327/1989 wc T-5 installed where I want it in my 73 240z after putting it in and taking it out 5 times. Stupid misprint in jtr book.

I may have made another mistake forcing me to pull the motor/tranny again... I did not put on the dust shield between the t-5 tranny and motor behind the flywheel.

I am including a link to a pic of the reason why i did this. I think (thats what i get for thinking) the t-5 has only a lower dust shield not a whole one the goes behind the entire block. Am i wrong? maybe its a two piece? I have searched and cant figure this out. In the pic the upper shield is for a 86-92. http://garage-scene.home.att.net/images/A_dust_shield.jpg

If I am right and it only requires the lower shield for a t-5 would a dusty land shield from a post 85 camaro work with my 89 t-5 and my 68 327 block?

Hopefully it only requires the lower shield and can be put on with the motor tranny in the car?

thanks again..bob

Which bellhousing did you use?

I'm putting together an LT1/T5 combo and used the 86-92 Camaro bellhousing that tilts the tranny 15 degrees to the left. The sources I've been able to find all show the half shield for the 86-92 Camaro/Firebirds with the T5. I ordered the shield that is used between the LT1 and T56 figuring the bellhousing shape would be the same as the one used with a T5 and lucked out. I got it yesterday and all the holes line up with my bellhousing. I don't know if it would work for you because of the 2 piece rear seal of the 327 but the shield from GM was only 8 bucks. It's worth a try and you could always modify it to fit your block. The one I got is for the 95 Camaro with a T56, I don't have the part number with me but can post it later if you like.

Wheelman

Which bellhousing did you use?

I am using a 89 camaro bell the tilts it 15 degrees to the passanger side also. Pretty sure a t-5 and now t-56 shield will bolt to the bell but will have to be modified to fit the eary block up around the crank but not positive...anyone?

Before I install all the bolt on stuff i want to make sure...this half dust shield can be put on with the engine and tranny bolted together and in the car correct?

thanks

I can't answer the question about the early block issue but I can't see how you would install it with the engine separate from the bellhousing. There's nothing to hold it on except 4 small bolts that attach it to the bellhousing. If you tried to install it on the bellhousing then install the bellhousing you wouldn't be able to get it between the block and flywheel and still put the bell housing on the locating pins.

As for installing it with the tranny and engine in the car it should be possible but could be a hassle if you need to modify it. Probably less of a hassle thna pulling the engine though.

Wheelman

I installed a 74 SBC with a 86 Camaro T5 trans using the tilted bell housing. I went to a chevy dealer and bought the shield and bolts for about $20.00 as I recall. All I had to do was to remove the starter to install the dust shield.

Miles