HybridZ

Fuel Cell?

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

well after a little research, seems the major two issues are 'cool factor' and exhaust routing.

anyone care to say how hard a fuel cell is to mount in and if it is worth the time/money/effort you put into it?

Billy

I used a fuel cell for two reasons. First, the stock tank had sat for 12 years with fuel in it (what a mess). Second, by switching to a cell, I made room for a dual exhaust. I cut out the spare tire well, and centered a 16 gallon cell between the rear frame rails. This gave me room to run a Flowmaster on either side. Also the cell is invisible from the rear because it is level with the bottom of the rear valance.

If you get a fuel cell, get an aluminum one or better yet get an ATL ($$$). The polyeurathane ones deform.

I want one in my Z because I want to run dual exhaust out both rear corners. The fuel cells just seem more compact than trying to adapt a bizarre shaped tank designed for another car.

If you look through the Summit catalog you will see you can get a tank of almost any size you want. For my Z the nice, rectangular shapes should provide a good fit.

Also there is something to be said for starting with a brand new, unused, unrusted, fumeless tank instead of draining and trying to cut up an old tank full of fumes.

I am sure other guys will chime in with a the safety advantages. I know you can get them foam filled also.

If you get a fuel cell, get an aluminum one or better yet get an ATL ($$$). The polyeurathane ones deform.
I disagree. If vented adequately, the 'plastic' cells last a long time. I know of MANY cells that have been used in race cars, in hot environments, for in excess of 10 years with no sag.

Tim

Guest polarity

I have seem some posts in the past about fuel cells, can anyone tell me why you would chose this over using a regular gas tank? are there any benifits, if you have time. how does it work, why do you have 'filling station' in your garage?

Billy